v. the ones we leave behind

FLY ME TO THE MOON
v. THE ONES WE LEAVE BEHIND
WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

THE NIGHT HOURS HAD TICKED SLOWLY, yet there was no sign of Tommy and it was slowly starting to take a toll on both Joel and Julia

THE NIGHT HOURS HAD TICKED SLOWLY, yet there was no sign of Tommy and it was slowly starting to take a toll on both Joel and Julia. She could tell that Joel was anxious as she watched his leg shake in the pale moonlight that had slowly begun to fade into sunlight. Neither one of them had dared to sleep, waiting for Tommy's arrival. Joel's grip on his rifle was tight, causing his skin to turn as white as paper. He sat posted by the warehouse's window, keeping his eyes trained for intruders. They had sat in silence for hours, except for Julia's occasional questions. But, Joel gave no answers. Their son, Adam, had fallen asleep. The young boy was slumped in a fold-up chair Julia had been able to find. She sat close to him, listening to his slow breaths.

Her dark eyes flickered to Joel. "Any sign of Tommy?"

"Not yet," Joel answered sharply, not sparing her a glance back.

It made a sigh leave her lips, but she didn't blame him for his firm tone. Something had happened last night, something that Joel was still unwilling to share. Julia didn't understand how things could have gone so wrong, considering everything was fine earlier in the day. They had been staying with the community for a long time, having joined almost a year ago. She got along with the other members of the group, working as the community's doctor. Joel and Tommy were usually on patrol duty or out searching for supplies. And, Adam had joined the school the community had set up for the younger kids. He was just beginning to learn how to read and write. Plus, he always seemed happier with the other kids too. She had hoped the community could become a permanent home, but those dreams had been shattered. Julia sighed, wondering what time it was and why Tommy hadn't shown up yet. Her eyes flickered to the broken watch around Joel's wrist for a moment.

A soft sniffle echoed throughout the otherwise quiet warehouse, making Julia look at their son. He called for her, reaching out. She smiled, taking his hand to show him she was still there. "I'm right here, Adam," Julia whispered, bringing his hand to her lips to kiss gently against it. "Are you okay? Was it another nightmare?"

Adam nodded slowly. It earned a tug from Julia's heart, making her wish she could take away his pain. She hoped he had gotten the chance to grow up as a normal kid. At least, the community provided that for a little while. But now, they were back on the road, and she wasn't sure for how long. His brown eyes lingered on Joel, but his father had yet to acknowledge him.

Julia drew his attention. She placed a gentle hand against his cheek, wiping away the stray tear with her thumb. "What was your nightmare about, baby?"

For a moment, Adam stayed quiet. "I... I lost you, Mama," he said softly, struggling to meet her gaze as his eyes filled with tears again. He spared another glance in Joel's direction. "The... The monsters got you and Daddy."

She frowned, knowing it must have been months since Adam had seen an Infected. But, it didn't change the first few years of his life he had spent running from them. Those had easily been some of the most challenging times of her life, but somehow Joel had gotten them all through it. She rubbed his arm, leaning forward to place a kiss against his forehead. "I ain't going anywhere, and neither is Daddy, okay?" Julia reassured him. "We're with you till the end, Adam."