ii. broken hearts and broken watches

FLY ME TO THE MOON
ii. BROKEN HEARTS AND BROKEN WATCHES
WE WERE MADE BY THE STARS.

IT HAD BEEN TWENTY YEARS SINCE THE INITIAL OUTBREAK OF THE CORDYCEPS BRAIN INFECTION that had taken the world by storm and destroyed the delicate structure of society humans had taken millenniums to construct

IT HAD BEEN TWENTY YEARS SINCE THE INITIAL OUTBREAK OF THE CORDYCEPS BRAIN INFECTION that had taken the world by storm and destroyed the delicate structure of society humans had taken millenniums to construct. But, it felt as if she had aged thousands of years in the span of two decades as the woman was in a constant battle to keep her heart beating till the rise of the morning sun. If she was frank with herself, Julia could not remember the woman she used to be. Nurse Julia Miller, a woman who had vowed to do no harm and to cherish and protect every living being, but that person was a stranger to her. A distant memory, her mind begged for her to forget, knowing her past was not needed to ensure her survival. Killing had become second nature to the woman, and she would do it all again to protect what little people she had left in her life.

The Fireflies, a militia group, run by Julia's own sister, Marlene, gave Julia Miller the hope she needed to continue the life she led after every travesty that had occurred in her life. They had every intention to revolt against the military's oppression to restore the government and find a vaccine for the infection. Still, they were losing their war against FEDRA as more and more Fireflies ended up dead every day. And, for the vaccine? Most had lost hope for a cure within the first years when sixty percent of the population had died or become part of the infected. Yet, the Fireflies kept fighting. Enough so, they had been able to recruit both Tommy and Julia into their ranks. Joel... Well, he decided not to buy into Marlene's bullshit and went on his own. Eventually, Tommy had left as well ━━ the fire had gone out within him, and he left in search of the spark he needed. Julia didn't blame them for leaving, but she still missed the two as they became distant memories in her mind. But, Julia still had her sister, Marlene.

But, there had been times where Julia had wanted to set off on her own as well. Yet, the woman had nowhere to go. Nowhere to call home, so she stayed with the Fireflies. Her hope to find a vaccine had faded a long time ago, yet the fight remained dormant within her. Eventually, the Universe or whatever cosmic energy that controlled the world had decided to lend a helping hand and had given them the spark to light a wildfire. It came in the form of a loud-mouthed teenager named Ellie Williams; the hope to save humanity was all in a single girl.

Ellie spoke, bringing the older woman out of her thoughts as the damp room came into her view again. It had been about an hour since Marlene had left the two, continuing to search for an arms dealer named Robert on her lonesome. Julia had offered to come along, but the woman had ordered her to watch over the teenager instead. It was the two of them as they waited for the return of their leader, but time was ticking, and they were losing daylight. Ellie seemed distracted enough, clinging onto every word of some random romance novel she had found in one of the many sealed up boxes in the room. But, Julia didn't have the luxury to relax as she stood guard.