Chapter 9

⚠️There is a bit of mental abuse in this chapter. If that triggers you I would suggest skipping the second half of this chapter.⚠️

~Esther~

Ash picked me up the next day and drove me to school. I told him I could walk but he insisted that he shouldn't make me walk and I gave in after a while, knowing I wouldn't win.

"Good morning, darling." He said as I hoped in his car.

I closed the door and buckled up. "Good morning, Ash."

He started driving and it was silent for a few minutes until Ash glanced at me. "Did your mom like me?" He randomly asked.

"Of course she did. Why?"

"I don't know, I know you said your dad liked me but we never really talked about your mom and it seems just as important that she likes me."

I leaned over and kissed him, hoping to reassure him as we came to a stop sign. "She liked you. She talked to me after you left. She thinks you're a nice boy and she approves."

He smiled and continued driving. As we pulled into the school parking lot I decided it was my turn to ask a question.

"Do you really work for the FBI?"

He looked at me and sighed. "I do."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"I didn't want to worry you. My job isn't the safest in the world and I knew you would worry about me."

Ah yes because that makes me feel so much better. "Ash, yes I'm going to worry about you but I want you to tell me stuff like that anyway. I don't want to be kept in the dark about stuff like that anymore. Okay?"

"Okay." He sighed. "I'm sorry, darling."

"It's okay" I leaned over to kiss him. "Just don't do it again."

"Come on," Ash said, getting out of the car. "We're going to be late if we don't hurry up."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming."

As we got inside the school I started to walk away from Ash, trying to get to first period before the bell went off but he grabbed my hand and pulled me back to his chest. "What-" I got cut off as he leaned down and kissed me.

"Okay you can go now." I lightly laughed, realizing he just wanted another kiss.

"You sure you don't want another?" I joked.

"If I kiss you again you'll be late, Mae."

"Right." I agreed as I started jogging to my class.

I ran in the door the second the bell for first period started ringing. "That was a close call Ms. Harlow. Next time you might not be so lucky. Try not to let it happen again." Mrs Bryer scolded me as I sat down in the last seat available. The one right next to Ava's friend, Vanessa. Great, I get to sit next to the best friend of the girl who hates my guts. This is going to be fun.

Sure enough, I was right. Ten minutes into class I got up to throw away a piece of paper and when I got up Vanessa decided to trip me, causing me to hit my head on the desk in front of me on my way down. "Oops." Vanessa shrugged. "I didn't see you there."

"Are you alright, Esther?" Mrs Bryer asked, rushing over to me.

I gave Vanessa the middle finger as I started to get up. "Yeah I'm okay, I hit my head though."

"Go to the nurse to get checked out."

I nodded and grabbed my things to leave. Vanessa stuck her foot out to trip me again but this time I saw it before stepping. I lifted my foot and "accidentally" smashed her foot under my boot. She gasped as I turned back to her. "Oops. I didn't see you there." I smirked. For once she got what she deserves.