Chapter 2 - Cold - Drowned By A Shadow, Saved By A Feather

"The spear is a mighty weapon," said the middle-aged man as he held the tip to the sky, as though he was piercing the moon, "when used correctly."

Cold held up his own spear and followed his action, pointing the tip high into the sky.

"It allows you to strike your enemy from a distance," the man swung the stick around, demonstrating its range, "but also remaining on the front lines, protecting those behind you."

The man showed another handful of flawless swings, cutting through the air and striking the ground. "Its only weakness is close-ranged combat," he stopped his entrancing movements, "thus you must learn to counteract these disadvantages using whatever method at your disposal."

His spear struck the ground, giving Cold a sense of fear and intimidation.

"However, according to the Marama Art, the spear is not a weapon that stands alone. It is the symbol of the art; leadership and courage," the man continued to explain, "Inspiration and revolution."

He picked up his spear and raised it high once more. "With your spear, you summon the full strength of your allies, sending off a wave of power to all. You show your enemy who are the victors."

And with that, the man disappeared in a puff of mist, leaving Cold alone in that windy stone ruin. He glanced at his spear, thinking of what the man had said.

***

"Gah!" Cold exclaimed as felt something strange on his face. Water, yeah, that was it.

"Finally," Kristen shook her hands to dry them, "come on, guys. We need to get going."

"What happened?" Kura asked, "N-Nevermind. Sorry, I was..dazed."

"Whatever it is, we need to get out of here," Kristen said, pointing upwards, "Those things do not look friendly."

"What are those?" Rayn asked as Cold got up and stared at his spear, remembering the dream he just had. Is he...really a leader...?

"I don't know sih," Kristen replied, "But, as I said, they don't look friendly."

"Where is the Spirit Wooroohee?" Cold asked as he looked at where the Spirit Wooroohee last was. But he didn't see anything there other than ice and snow.

"He left just earlier," Kristen replied, "He said we have to get out of here through this river-"

"Hold up, did you just say 'he said'? You had a whole conversation with the Spirit Wooroohee?" Rayn asked.

"Yeah, but it's not exactly an oral conversation," Kristen waved her hand, "Halah, point is we need to leave now."

Everyone peered down the river.

"Our only way out," Mel commented.

"No, we can just go back the way we came," Cold stopped short when he noticed that the entrance was gone.

Everyone looked back at the river as questions rose in Cold's mind. How far will the river take them? What dangers are ahead? And most of all, does the water taste good or not?

"I can't swim," Kristen reported.

"Duly noted," Cold replied, earning a pissed look from Kristen.

"Kura," Mel called as she scanned the riverbank.

"Is something the matter?" the four of them approached the girl.

Mel dipped her fingers into the water. When she pulled them out, the water seemed to harden and float.

"We can make a boat," she told Kura, "There are some crystals down there and these waters are also great for manipulation."