Chapter 10 - Mel - Nox

The catacombs were incredibly dark. The only thing illuminating the passageways were dim torches by the walls. Commander Coleb led them through the dark rooms, constantly warning them of the many surprises that awaited them. He had mentioned that they have to stick together since the catacombs are full of dangerous surprises.

"Are you saying there are undead here?" Solla asked.

"The what?" Cold asked.

"Dead Mortals but moving," Kura answered.

"There should not be any undead here," Commander Coleb replied, "But recently, many of us who guard the catacombs have been reporting such sightings."

"How dangerous are they?" Mel asked.

"Unpredictable. They fight like they did when they were alive, however, you usually cannot make out who they are before they get the better of you," Commander Coleb replied as they turned the corner where he stopped short.

"What?!" Kristen exclaimed as they all saw what was awaiting them.

In the center of the large, circular room was a man sitting cross-legged. His back was turned against the group, but he had his chin on his palm as though he was waiting for something. His body was entirely black and violet, even his clothes were the same color as his skin.

"Stay here," Commander Coleb instructed before advancing.

"Apologies, good sir, but you are not permitted to-"

"The dead get lonely at times," the man replied, his voice deadly familiar, "They long for action, yet their time has already come."

Standing up, the man immediately struck at Commander Coleb, choking him as he was lifted off the ground.

"Join them. You, dear commander, will find how much the dead-"

Letting her knife fly, Mel hit the man's wrist, making him drop Commander Coleb who backed away. "Who are you?!" he demanded.

"She knows exactly who I am," he nodded at Mel who raised her hand. Her knife returned to her palm as she stared daggers at the man. His sly smile was just as she'd remembered. The playful demeanor was still scary to her.

"Go on, girl. Tell your friends who I am. After all, you should know your opponent before you wage war," the man smirked.

"He's a Spirit," Mel shook her head, "A shadow. Nox, Shadow of the Night."

"A pity that I am always overshadowed by the Guardian of the Night," Nox bellowed, "He's always too busy with other tasks to keep me in place."

"What do you want?!" Kristen raised her guns.

"Oh, nothing much actually. I would follow my orders and turn you over to Wintershold, but that wouldn't be any fun, no?" a long pole appeared on Nox's right hand which he twirled expertly.

"What do you mean?" Cold asked.

Nox pointed at Mel as a suffocating feeling rose in her throat. "She's the one I want. All of you are free to leave."

Kura stood in front of Mel, shielding her with her arm. All her other friends raised their weapons, preparing for a fight.

"No? Do we have to get messy?" Nox taunted. Mel didn't want a fight. She knew what Nox could do, even in a weakened state. Mel wanted to tell her friends to stand back, but she was frozen in fear.

Kristen and Cold charged as Kura raised her arms, using the wind to assist the two. But just as it looked like they would land a solid hit, Nox disappeared and reappeared right before Kura.