Chapter 9 - Kura - Change in Leon

Kura watched as her friends were led out by General Noah. Cold caught her eye and a silent question passed between them. She nodded, telling him that she will be just fine.

When the door shut, Kura took in a sharp breath. King Leon walked closer, his steps were heavy and slow to emphasize his presence in the room.

King Leon stood in front of Kura as they stared at each other. Although Leon's stare was a disgusting lustful stare, Kura gave him a death glare.

"Don't look at me like that," King Leon held her chin, "I'm a charming man."

"By charming you mean disgusting, Your Majesty," Kura retaliated. His switch from formal to informal talk disgusted her. Such language was only used by nobles and royals when they were a family and discussing personal matters. 

King Leon laughed as he grabbed her hand. "I'm a changed man, Kura. Now come on."

Before leaving, Kura glanced at her grandmother who nodded with a smile. She wished she remembered if Queen Arianne had supported this marriage or had tried to stop it.

Kura followed behind King Leon as they walked someplace deeper in the palace. The more she walked, the more she remembered. And the more she remembered, the more her hatred grew for this place.

King Leon led Kura to his study. Kura remembered that every royal and noble had a study, room sizes differ in rank.

"Come, sit," King Leon gestured to the chair in front of the desk while he took the one behind the desk.

Kura did as she was told. She scanned his study, neat and organized. Everything is where it should be and there was no wasted space. That was the one thing Kura respected about him.

"Now," King Leon stared at her, "I'd like to make a little proposition."

The king laced his fingers atop the desk. Kura waited for him to elaborate.

"I think that you don't like me."

Kura sighed silently. Did it take him this long to figure that out?

"Kura, answer me."

"Whatever made you think that way?"

"You're still giving me death glares and acting cold around me."

"Like I have never done that before."

"Kura," King Leon reasoned, "I mean the new me."

"You expect me to believe that you have moved past your discourteous ways within less than a year?"

King Leon widened his eyes.

"Less than a year? Kura, you've been gone for years," he scrunched his eyebrows, "Are you alright?"

Years?

Kura looked away. She directed her attention to a potted plant at the corner of the room. Kura could feel its strong roots in the fertile soil.

"Alright then, Kura," King Leon took a stool to sit next to her, "Tell me what you want and I'll give it to you."

"Call off your alliance with Wintershold," Kura said bluntly as the thunder roared.

King Leon winced. "I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"Why? Because the Wintershold will tear down your precious palace? Because Wintershold will take everything you have ever known and loved?"

"Because the people will suffer if I do," King Leon brushed a few strands of hair behind Kura's ear.

Hearing his answer, Kura fiddled with her fingers. That was certainly not the answer she was expecting. Maybe he has changed? Could it be that she was just too attached to her past judgment that she could not accept the fact that Leon is now a kind man?