Chapter 12 - Kristen - The Nian

Huohua just didn't know the word 'no'.

No matter how many times Kristen told her to stay with her tribe, Huohua always argued back and stubbornly followed their group.

"You're my best friend, Minjie. And I'm not leaving you to go fight this legendary beast without me," she smiled as Kristen sighed. Jieshi was right about family knowing how to stick together.

The group searched for a wide, deserted space to lure the Nian to. It wasn't that hard since every tribe kept to themselves in this trying time.

Kura had suggested that they devised a plan beforehand so that they'd be prepared to face the Nian. But then Mel argued that they don't know how to prepare for the Nian if they don't know anything about it. Everyone agreed that Mel wasn't wrong,

Kristen and Huohua made a massive light show, using Huohua's fire magic and shooting it into the sky with Kristen's gun. Solla had assisted the mechanics to make sure that nobody got injured in the process.

It was a beautiful sight, but Kristen knew it was to lure something dangerous. Yet she can't help but admire the picture of a sun shining its rays. It looked new yet it felt familiar. Like the sun that used to shine down on Kristen, but gave a different kind of warmth.

The light quickly died as the breeze picked up and the storm clouds moved in.

"It's coming," Rayn announced before pointing at something in the distance.

Sure enough, something bright and big was racing in their direction. After a while, Kristen could make out most of its features.

The beast looked like a regular Liatrezan lion but more powerful. Its fur wasn't just orange but mixed with gold, red, and green too. From its mane, two long flame-like things ran to its back. Its tail and paws were also orange like a regular lion, however, the ends were gold and razor-sharp.

Most of all, its face was the most distinctive feature. Like a regular lion, it had sharp teeth, the Nian's gold instead of a regular tooth. Gold and red decorated its orange front and a single horn sticking out of its forehead. The horn wasn't anything flashy nor big, but it still looked deadly.

"Scales," Mel announced, "covered under the fur."

"Scales? I've never heard anything about the Nian having scales," Huohua commented.

"Maybe that's why no one has ever beaten it before," Cold remarked.

"Huohua, was it ever noted in history if the Nian was ever defeated?" Kura asked.

"Once, the Great Elders of Liatrez sealed it away in a giant mountain around the Faguang territory. That was over a thousand years ago," Huohua replied, "Maybe over two thousand."

"So we're charging in blindly," Kristen concluded.

"Solla, Huohua," Mel called hurriedly, "what primary entities live in Nophos?"

"Uh, Mortals, Spirits, and Dragons," Solla quickly exclaimed.

"Mel, this is not the time for pop quizzes!" Kristen hissed, but Mel blatantly ignored her.

"What is the most powerful out of the three?"

"They say it's Dragons because they were the first to be created and they shape Nophos' structure," Huohua replied.

"What kinds of Dragons are there?"

Solla and Huohua went quiet.

"Major and minor Dragons," Rayn replied, "Major dragons create and reshape. Minor Dragons simply exist and destroy." He then scrunched his eyebrows. "Do you think...?"