Chapter 8 - Kura - Queen Arianne

Kura remembered now. It was all coming back to her.

"You have not changed one bit," the king straightened his back, "Elegant. Poised. And most of all, quiet."

Kura stared back at him, keeping her mouth shut and emotions in check. She was sure that if she hated this place so much, she would have destroyed it. But there must be a reason why she did not.

"What is all the ruckus about?" came a voice.

That was it. That was the reason why Kura kept herself composed.

From the door to the right, out came an old woman with a kind smile on her wrinkly face. Her clothes were not as fancy as the king's, but they were still elegant.

"Acting Queen Arianne," the king addressed and welcomed her.

"A gracious day to you too, King Leon," the old lady replied before looking at Kura and her friends. "I see we have some guests."

"And Kura," King Leon added, "Perhaps you would like to catch up with her while I prepare the things needed?"

Acting Queen Arianne nodded. "We can talk in my quarters," she announced before turning around and walking through the door she came from.

The leader gestured for Kura and her friends to follow him and the acting queen. Kura was curious about her relationship with the acting queen was, but for some reason, she was even more curious about whatever King Leon meant by preparations. There was a nagging feeling that told Kura she didn't like it.

At Queen Arianne's quarters, Kura and her friends were offered to sit on comfy, dark purple and pink couches around a wooden table where a tea set was.

"Thank you, General Noah," Queen Arianne thanked the leader before he excused himself and shut the door.

Kura eyed the old lady who smiled at everyone as they sat down.

"Who are you?" Cold inquired.

"The Acting Queen, Arianne Lan," the old lady replied.

"What did that cocky king mean about 'catching up?" Kristen asked.

"What do you think, Kura?" Queen Arianne turned to face Kura who eyed the queen suspiciously.

What does she think? Kura does not know. What role did this woman play in her life? What did Kura do with her?

Then the word appeared in her head. That old hair, that kind smile, that elegant demeanor. Yes, it could make sense.

"Grandmother," Kura muttered in disbelief.

"Right you are, my child," the old woman smiled at Kristen with her eyebrows raised as though she was saying, "See?"

"Do you know anything about the 'Kingdom of Lumina'?" Mel immediately got down to business. But instead of the expected informative answer from Queen Arianne, the acting queen just eyed Mel.

"Why do you want to know about this place?" Queen Arianne asked.

Cold explained what had happened. As Queen Arianne listened, she sipped her tea and rubbed her teacup as though she was reminiscing.

"And we ended up here," Cold concluded.

"Child," Queen Arianne placed her cup back on the table, "I would love to help if I could. But unfortunately, the name 'Kingdom of Lumina' sounds foreign to me."

"Grandmother," Kura started, "what about King Leon? And...what did I do?"

"You simply ran away, Kura. And as for the king, I do not mean to speak badly about him, but you have always disliked his Majesty," Queen Arianne smiled at Kura, "And for good reason."