6. Nice Eyebags!

Crow sprawled on the carpet, staring at the water-damaged ceiling. He took a moment to push his glasses back up his nose, and he slowly sat up.

"Soren, I just had a brainwave," he announced, his eyes sparkling. He turned to the couch to face his roommate.

Soren stopped typing and looked up from his laptop. He rubbed his eyes. "Oh god. I know that tone of voice. What's your plan?" 

The vampire rose to his feet, and gestured outside. The sky was blanketed in endless grey, the sun a dim glow behind them.

"It's not too bad out. I could get the hat, we could go out, maybe get some food?" Crow said, offering Soren a fanged smile. "This time we won't have to get groceries, or work. We can just go out," he added. 

Soren didn't even blink - hell, was that a twinkle in his eye? "You know what? I think that sounds great," he answered. What harm could it do? Now that they knew a way for Crow to be safe during the day, Soren had a chance to show him the outside world in full.

Crow literally jumped for joy. It gave Soren a warm, fuzzy feeling, one that settled in the back of his heart. Seeing Crow this happy made everything worth it. Maybe.

Soren rubbed his eyes again. He shut his laptop, but before he could get up, Crow tried out one of his newly-curated jokes.

"Nice eyebags! Are those Gucky?" he said. Soren turned, a look of annoyance plastered on his face.

"Did you steal that from Twitter?" he deadpanned.

Crow nodded.

Soren sighed. "Get out of there while you still can, kid," he replied, putting his laptop aside.

"I'm like, fifty years older than you," Crow mumbled. He made his way to the door, but stopped hearing his roommate's laughter. He turned.

"It's pronounced Gucci," Soren chuckled.

"Huh?"

-

The food-truck tacos were so much better fresh.

Crow knew that Soren had been saving up for something special, and he couldn't help but feel happy that he'd spent it on a day out. He could barely see from underneath the sunhat, but it felt really good to be outside again. Plus, these tacos were delicious - even if he technically didn't have to eat, it gave him a moment away from... whatever you could call their situation.

The two of them wandered around the park, finishing off the last of their lunch. The air was crisp with the last dregs of summer and the leaves rustled in anticipation to fall. Crow loved the transition of summer into autumn. It made him feel safe, like the trees were welcoming a chance to rest.

Crow and his roommate found a wooden bench beneath an old maple. It provided enough shade that he could probably take his hat off, but he decided against it.

He spent a moment looking at the ground. A few leaves were tangled in the dew-speckled grass. He plucked one off the ground, and held it up to the light.

"This one looks a bit like the darker shades of your hair," he said, placing the leaf in Soren's lap.

Soren stared at it for a moment, and smiled. "Yeah, I guess it does. Thanks," he said. He tilted his head back, stretching his bent, weary back. All the studying and working had made him resemble a shrimp (in the best possible way). He pointed up to the high branches of the maple. A crow sat amongst the leaves, looking down at them.

"Hey, it's you!" Soren joked, pointing towards the bird. Crow beamed as he gazed up at it.

"What a cool lad. I appreciate him," the vampire said, nodding towards the crow. The bird did not nod back, but it did caw. Probably a good sign? I don't know. I don't speak bird.

"I'm sure he appreciates you too," Soren agreed. He was rudely interrupted by a buzz on his phone. His face dropped as soon as he saw it.

Crow looked over at the screen, immediately concerned. "What is it?"

Soren sighed as he pressed on the notification. "It's my mother. She wants me to come over," he muttered.

"What's so bad about that?" his roommate asked.

"She's really religious," Soren said. "Not that that's a bad thing. She's just... old fashioned. She doesn't really understand the whole gender thing," he mumbled, running a hand through his hair. That had become a habit. Sometimes nerves, sometimes joy. Crow couldn't tell. But Soren looked cool while doing it.

Crow frowned. After a moment in thought, he shot up. "I could-"

"Come with me? I knew you'd say that," Soren laughed sadly. 

Crow nodded. "Read my mind," he said. "I thought the vampires did that?"

Soren shook his head, gazing up at where the crow perched. "I know it seems like a good idea, but it's a lot worse than it sounds. Look, let's just keep moving. There's something I want to show you," he explained, getting up.

He obliged, but Crow knew that there was something up. He wasn't going to let Soren go alone.

-

Soren gazed down at his reflection in the glassy river. It was muddy and clouded through layers of silt, but he could see himself in the gentle ebbs. He did not like it. He usually didn't like his reflection. It reminded him that he wasn't who he wanted to be.

His trail of thought faltered as Crow skipped a stone into the water, causing ripples to dance across the pair's faces. "I can't wait for Halloween," the vampire said absentmindedly. "It was my favourite holiday before the whole library thing. I guess this is my first one back," he added, leaning on the bridge's railing.

"This is my favourite spot in the world. Aside from our apartment. Although, the old place is a bit crusty at this stage," Soren mused.

"I won't have to get a costume this year," Crow said. "Wait, do we still wear costumes?"

Soren turned, his back to the water. "Yeah, I guess. This town usually has a bunch of celebrations, but growing up, we never really did much. I wasn't allowed to."

"We could dress up. And I could point out all the historical inaccuracies in vampire costumes," offered Crow. "Bunch of posers, probably. I'm still catching up on vampiric lore, but who the hell lets blood dribble down their chin? That's food! You wouldn't let broccoli or shit run down your face," he hissed.

Soren cackled. "Yeah. That'd be wicked. Just... no bullying children," he said, laughing. "Right?"

"Yeah. Right," Crow said, a hint of mischief in his eyes. He gently put his arm around Soren's shoulder. Soren didn't mind. It was nice to have him there.

A/N: Sorry about the wait, I forgor 💀 Okay but seriously - I'm sorry this took so long. I haven't really edited it - if you spot anything, please let me know. I will love you forever. Thank you so much for all the support :) I'm really grateful to have you all reading this.