Chapter 11 - Lisa Haines

*Jenn Haines's hospital*

Claire Kinsley's POV

"Good morning colleagues, today I would like to officially welcome three new additions to our hospital as qualified doctors. Let's put our warm hands together to welcome them on stage for their introduction!" Dr Carter announced.

"Good morning everyone, I'm a Rachelle Bennett. I look forward to learning more from everyone, do pardon me if I have made mistakes along the way," Rachelle bowed upon completing her formal-styled introduction that makes on feel distanced.

"Yo, sup everyone!" Matt puts on his "sexy" face as he pulls off his funny stunts again.

"This Matt here is back for more~! So watch out for me!" He did a series of dabs and a drop mic at the end.

Everyone chortled as they gave whooping loud cheers for Matt. But that wasn't surprising as he was already very well-received with everyone back then during the internship because he was always this infectious happy pill.

What baffled me the most is how both Matt and Rachelle were childhood playmate despite the stark contrast in their personality. In fact, Matt is the one who is always sticking up around Rachelle like a puppy wagging its tail around its owner. I'm surprised at his choice of owner, perhaps there's more to Rachelle that I don't know.

"Hi everyone! I'm Claire Kinsley, I'm back too~! It is definitely nice to be back here again and I promised to work harder. Thank you!" I chirped in a mixture of both excitement and nervousness. Thankfully, everyone responded with equal fervour and that made me heaved a sigh of relief.

"I think you will all have to agree that those were lovely introduction about themselves. Thank you for your warm welcome to our new colleagues, now please help yourself to the refreshments," Dr Carter announced after I handed the microphone over to her.

Somehow my vision landed on Liam and a warm fuzzy feeling ensued within me that made me smiled. Just when I was about to walk over to him, Rachelle just had to lose her footing in front of Liam and of course Liam's reflexes kicked in, saving her from falling in time.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked as she steadied her stance in his embrace and that made me steamed with hot eyes at how oblivious Liam was to her deliberate stunt.

"Thank you," Rachelle replied shyly, then she combed the stray tendrils of her hair backward before pulling off a bewitching look back at Liam, "Hi, Dr Liam, I've always wanted to let you know that I've admired you ever since I entered Harvard's medical school. I've read through every paper you wrote and it would be a great honour if I could learn from you."

Liam responded politely to her with a gesture of smile, "Thank you for your compliment."

"I..." Before Rachelle could continued, Matt jumped in and cut off the conversation, "There you are Rachelle, I've been looking for you!"

Rachelle rolled her eyes at Matt before storming away from him.

I cursed under my breath at this manipulative bitch.

Wait a minute... What the hell am I thinking? Isn't this great that Liam has a suitor? After all, that would meant freedom for me once he is occupied with his girlfriend.

I waved off the wild thoughts in my head.

*Two months later*

Not long after I started working at the hospital, I hardly got any interaction with Liam as he was busy preparing for the upcoming international medical conference. Despite attempts to meet up over lunch at work, there is always something that crop up last minute causing us to cancel the meet up. It should be a blessing for me that I'm finally loosened from from his controlling claws but somehow I felt this clawing emptiness in me instead. Perhaps I've been too used to having him
around me, now that he is not, I am just not used to it.