Chapter 29 - It's my turn now

Claire Kinsley's POV

I woke up this morning with a terrible punch of morning sickness along with that painful blow of rejection from Liam last night.

All these nauseating factors were crippling me from even being able to function properly. I told my mother that I was going to get down to the pharmacy to get some medication.

Halfway through my way to the pharmacy, I realised I had forgotten to take my purse along with me. I cursed and then I made my way back home.

Upon reaching home I realised the door wasn't locked, I guess my mother had forgotten to lock the door when I left. So I walked up to my room to collect my purse and headed down the stairway. That was when I heard footsteps coming in from the main door. I crouched down immediately.

Is this a break-in? A burglar? Darn... I should have locked the door when I came in!

"Young man, you have got some explanation you owe me," My mother stern voice echoed through.

What is happening?

"Aunt Helen, I'm sorry..." A voice, whom I was no stranger to, responded.

Liam?!

I inched forward to take a sneak.

"She is not at home now, but she will be back soon. So you better be coughing out the truth that you were supposed to tell me last night," My mother said sternly to him once again.

Liam seemed hesitant to say anything.

"Liam... I don't believe... I don't believe you don't love her," My mother exasperated.

That was when he broke down in front of her like a damaged soul.

"Of course, I love her, I love her so much... This is exactly why I had to do this..." Liam's face was clawed with agony.

"Do what? I don't understand..." My mum retorted impatiently with a baffled look.

Liam snivelled before he continued to look back at my mother and said heavily, "I'm dying..."

What the fuck?!

My heart felt wrangled so badly. This is the worst piece of news I have ever heard in my entire life. The worst feeling ever!

I cannot stomach the fact that Liam was going to be gone from my life for good. Before I even know it, my eyes were already wet from the fear of losing him.

"What? Why? What do you mean?" My mother gasped in disbelief.

"I have a clot in my brain, it's from the concussion I had back in Tokyo. The clot is stressing on the part of my brain that threatens to shut down my body anytime," Liam explained coldly.

"Oh my gosh! My poor boy, what are you waiting for? Haven't you received treatment for it?" My mother held her hands over her chest as she asked Liam with a worrisome brood.

"The only way to treat it is through surgical removal. I only have a 5% chance of survival and a 90% chance of being in a vegetative state even if the surgery was successful," He explained before he snickered and said, "I'm... I'm as good as a dead man now."

"Don't say that..." My mother face turned red and then she started tearing.

Suddenly, Liam knelt in front of her and then a downpour of emotions clawed over his face.

"I'm sorry... I shouldn't have asked for her when I don't deserve her. I don't want to hurt her... I really don't want to... but what can I do?" Liam choked on his tears with a heavy heart as he rubbed his forehead in anguish.

"No... Silly boy, you don't have to be sorry for anything... I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, my boy... You have done so much for her, even till this day... I cannot thank you enough for your love and for protecting my daughter..." My mother held Liam in her embrace, sobbing away, as they find solace in each other.

"Please... Don't tell her the truth, she doesn't deserve to be hurt by me. I would rather she believe that I have abandoned her and hate me than to widow her and have her suffer in mourning. Promise me, she has to be happy, I want her to be happy," Liam begged.

At this moment, I was so badly shaken by the truth that I had to cover my mouth as I cried uncontrollably.

What an idiot! How could he shoulder all this pain by himself at this point of time? How could I ever stop loving and forget this man who has love me so unconditionally?

"What do you intend to do now? Shouldn't you at least try for the surgery? Maybe there's still hope?" My mother asked.

"I will go ahead with the surgery, but with this slim hope, I would rather she forget about me. I cannot promise any future for her. I have directed all my assets to you, Aunt Helen. Please take good care of her for me. This is the last thing I could do for her," Liam said as he wiped the tears off his face.

"Let me help you too, Liam," My mother said.

"It's alright, Aunt Helen. I have got it all
planned out. Scott... is a good man for Claire, he loves her too. He has already promised to keep this a secret from Claire," Liam said before he turned away to leave.

Liam... It's my turn to protect you now.