Chapter 14 - The Confession

*The next morning*

Claire Kinsley's POV

"Hey Matt, what are you doing here? I'm his attending doctor," I asked questionably at Matt who stood in front of Scott with his medical report in his hands.

"You mean you don't know we have been switched?" He brought me to a corner and asked with an incredulous look.

He then pointed to the name of the attending doctor on the clipboard, "See, I'm then his attending doctor."

"What?! Why?" I gasped at this sudden change.

"Beats me too, I was just informed about it this morning before my shift started," Matt shrugged his shoulder cluelessly.

"Is there a problem?" Scott asked us with a look of concern.

Before we could even reassure Scott, Liam walked in out of nowhere and explained to Scott, "Good Morning, Mr Lansky, I'm Dr Craig, also the head of ER department. We had some deployment issues, so we had to do some last-minute changes, I regret that we couldn't inform you in time. However, please be assured that regardless of whichever doctor that is attending to you, you will be well-taken care of."

Scott nodded his head and smiled politely back at Liam, "It's alright, I understand."

But somehow I could feel this nebulous animosity shared between the way they looked at each other.

"Alright, thank you for your kind understanding. Dr Miller, please take good care of Mr Lansky," Liam replied.

But I wasn't going to buy his story.

Seriously?! Liam owes me an explanation!

I followed him back to his office, storming at the audacious stunt he pulled on me.

"How could you change my patient's attending doctor without my consent?! Shouldn't you discuss with me on this beforehand on why the need to change? What you did is not only disrespectful to me but to Scott as well!" I exclaimed.

"As your immediate superior, I do not have to explain to you on every decision I make. You just need to follow," He used his commanding tone on me.

"No! I just don't understand... just why? Just why are you doing this?" I asked, feeling indignified.

"Just why do you have to persist on this matter? It's just simply a change of attending doctor, do you really have to pick up a fight with me on this? Or is there some reason for why it's so hard for you to break yourself away from Mr Lansky?" He interrogated as he lost his temper on me for the first time.

I was utterly shocked and disappointed at the way he responded to me on this matter. He made it clear with his tone that he had no fault in this.

I gritted my teeth in anger and panted hard as I looked dead into his eyes, "You're... impossible!"

I knew he was a control freak but I never expected him to be this unprofessional!

"You couldn't even justify your decision with a legit reason, and you still have the cheek to slander my professionalism, suggesting that I have an inappropriate relationship with my patient?! Come on! Just admit it, you made that change solely because of your controlling urges, didn't you?!" I was near to tears as I hurled my boiling emotions at him.

He falls silent because he knows he is guilty.

"This is exactly why I don't want to work in the same hospital as you in the first place. I'm not your puppet!" My voice trembled as I stormed out of his office.