4

Today, the group of friends planned to go to the beach, Laurie being their escort. It was bright and warm day and all the girls dressed lightly. Upon their arrival stood 3 other figures.

"This is Fred Vaughn and his sister Kate," Laurie began to introduce them, "of course you know Mr. Brook." He said causing Meg to become quite pleased, "This is Meg, Amy, Beth, Jo and Charity."

"Ah, yes I have heard a lot about you" Fred Vaughn said towards Charity, she shot a glance over at Teddy causing him to look off into the distance, "So, pleased to meet you" He said to the rest of the girls.

"Oh, how elegant!" Amy said walking over to him and extending a hand "I'm Amy March, you remember that name I'm going to come find you in England" she said.

"Oh I certainly will" he replied

John Brooke smiled at Meg, and Jo couldn't help but take several glances at Katy, all in which were returned. The girls flew kites near the water as Amy sketched a picture of Laurie and Charity standing near the water. 

Charity splashed water at him and he began to chase her, catching up and tickling her sides. Meg and John Brook walked along the coast side by side. Jo and Charity already had their speculations about them. The entire day at the beach, Meg and Brook stuck together, eating lunch and skipping rocks.

Charity stood near by taking note of these actions when Laurie walked passed her. "I know something you don't know" He said in a sing-song tone. 

"Tell me right this second." Cherry said catching up with the boy in the overalls.

"Has Meg perhaps mislaid a glove?" Laurie asked.

Cherry playfully hit the boy smiling, "Mr. Brook has it!" Laurie jumped away from her at thi action, "Yes." he said.

"How do you know?" she asked excitedly.

"I saw!' he smirked.

"Where?" 

"In his pocket" He answered contently.

"All this time?" She asked.

Laurie jumped and skipped backwards with excitement, "Yes, isn't it romantic!" he gushed.

"So romantic! What a sweet gesture, he will return the glove and she will fall for him all the more deeper" she giggled

"I knew you would be pleased" He smiled down at the girl.

"You know I love a good romance." she smirked up at him.

"And you'll love it even more when someone comes to take you away." he said playfully, fiddling with his suspenders.

She laughed, "Yeah, well I'll have to hope, won't I?"

"Yeah, well I'll have to hope as well." He said tickling the girl from behind. She laughed pushing him off of her into the water. He quickly hopped out of the ocean before picking up the girl and threatening to carry her into the cold water.

The group ran along the beach, clutching their hats to their head as the wind attempted to steal them away. They laughed and kicked sand beneath their feet. They stayed on the beach until the sun went down and the air went cold.

------

"We could've never have loved the earth so well if we have had not a childhood in it, if it were not the earth where the same flowers come up again every spring, that we used to gather with our tiny fingers. What novelty is worth that sweet monotony where everything is known and loved because it is known. How great is that?" Jo read to Beth on the beach. Jo had come down with scarlet fever.

Meg was now 20, Jo, Laurie and Charity were 19, Beth was 17 and Amy was 16. 2 years had past since the group frolicked on the beach. Now everyone was in a constant state of worry due to Beth's health conditions.

"I love to listen to you read, Jo" Beth said, "But I just love it better when you read the stories you've written"

"I don't have any new stories." Jo replied.

"Why not?" Beth questioned. It was unlike Jo to ever be creatively stumped, writing was her passion.

"Haven't written any" Jo said plainly staring out at the ocean.

"You have a pencil and paper, sit here and write me something" Beth suggested.

Jo shook her head and pursed her lips, "No, I can't. I don't think I can anymore"

"Why" Beth asked sadly.

"It's just, no one cares to hear my stories anymore" 

"Write something for me," Beth requested, Jo sat quietly listening to her sister, "You are a writer, even before anyone knew or paid you. I am very sick and you must do what I say" she continued.

Jo groaned before collapsing flat on her back, "Do what Marmee taught us to do," Beth said, "Do it for someone else"

------

Days dragged on as everyone wished for Beth's health. Marmee went off to go fetch the March's father however in her absence Beth fell deeply ill. She was in a coma-like state and would sleep for days at a time. Meg was her main care taker until Marmee finally arrived home.

In the nights, Jo often woke to check on her sister, she feared her sister's death. One morning she woke up to find her sister missing form her bed. Acknowledging the worst she headed to the kitchen to become overjoyed realizing her sister had become well once again. Not only had the health of Beth return, her father did as well.