3

As the group of girl sat in the attic, Jo whispered something into Meg's ear reminding her sister to make an announcement, "Oh, Charity we would love for you to join us at our Pickwick club! We meet every Saturday up here in the attic-"

"The Press Room" Jo corrected her sister.

"-yes, the Press Room. It is run by none other than yours truly, Samuel Pickwick!" Meg finished introducing herself.

"How lovely!" Cherry exclaimed.

"Yes! I am Tracy Tupman, Jo is Augustus Snodgrass, and Amy is Nathaniel Winkle" Beth said excitedly, "What will her name be?" Beth asked her sisters.

"Well, with all your beatings by pillow, one might describe Charity as mischievous," suggested Meg towards Jo.

"Mischievous? I'd say she is a perfect saint, my curls remain intact and unprovoked," Amy said turning her nose up in pride.

"I can help with that, wouldn't want you feeling left out." Cherry laughed before hitting Amy upside the head with the pillow.

Amy turned red with scorn, "Traitor! Best! Down with the villain!" she hollered.

Jo looked as if a lightbulb had gone off in her head, "That's exactly it, Amy. You can be Alfred Jingle!" Jo said smugly looking at Cherry.

"Alfred Jingle?" questioned Cherry.

"Yes, he is quite the trouble maker and even an antagonist every once in a while but he does accompany the Pickwickians on their journey" Jo said smartly.

"In that case, you may call me Alfred Jingle. What you may call mischievous I call fun" Cherry replied wittily crossing her arms and leaning against the wall.

The girls laughed together and explained the book club to Cherry for the rest of the evening and Cherry quite enjoyed their company. She did not have many friends in Paris and for the time she had lived here her only friend was Laurie.

Now she had 4 new friends to play and go on adventures with, she was only 16 after all and wanted to enjoy the rest of her time as a child.

------

The next day was Saturday and to entertain her friend Charity had put on her finest pair of pants and borrowed a blouse from Laurie in order to mimic a boy. She placed her cap on her head and headed over to the March home.

Marmee greeted her at the door and Cherry walked up to the attic to be greeted by a group of well dressed "men".

"Hello, Mr. Jingle. Thank you for coming." said Mr. Pickwick, "A new play, written by Miss Jo March, will appear at the Barnville Theatre, in the course of the next few weeks, which will surpass anything ever seen before on the American stage. 

"Starring the greatest actress from here to the Mississippi River, Miss Meg March" Finished Jo.

"Weekly report! Meg— Good. Cherry— Fine. Jo— Bad. Beth— Very Good. Amy— Middling" reported Meg.

The "men" discussed there scores for a bit before Augustus Snodgrass stepped up for discussion, "Mr. President and gentlemen, I wish to propose the admission of a new member. One who highly deserves the honor, would be deeply grateful, and would add immensely to the spirit of the club. I propose Mr. Theodore Laurence!"

This statement resulted in a mixture of feedback:

"No!" Pickwick objected.

"Absolutely not!" Winkle declared.

"Come now, let's have him" Snodgrass persuaded.

"He's a real boy!" Nathaniel Winkle cried.

"We don't want any boys. This is a club for ladies" Jingle said, although she loved her Laurie she would admit that it was nice to spend time with just the girls.

"I think we should to do it, even ifwe are afraid. I say yes. It'sLaurie!" Tupman said contrasting the opinions of the other members.

"Now then, everybody vote, andremember that it's our Laurie andsay "Aye!" Snodgrass announced. Following this call for declaration, there was a crowd of agreeance, some reluctant to conform and others willingly accepting the new member.

"And, as there is no time like thepresent!" Snodgrass said as Laurie jumps out of the closet, dressed for the occasion.

"You traitor!" shouted Winkle

"You rogue!" called Jingle

"Ladies, please, this is mystratagem, I deserve the blame. Pickwick only gave into it after lots ofteasing. Allow me to introduce myself as Sam Weller." Weller admitted. 

"Hear, hear!" Snodgrass agreed.

"I merely wish to say, that as aslight token of my gratitude and asa means of promoting friendlyrelations between adjoiningnations, I propose this set of keysfor a little post office I've madein the forest by the pond. Allow me to present four copies ofthe key, and with many thanks foryour favor, take my seat as part ofthe club."

Laurie took 5 keys out of his pocket, each with a different ribbon. For Amy, he gave a key with a blue ribbon, for Beth he gave a key with a green ribbon, Meg's was yellow, Jo's was red and finally he placed a key with a purple colored ribbon, her favorite. 

"I merely wish to say, that as a slight token of my gratitude for the honor done me, and as a means of promoting friendly relations between adjoining nations, I have set up a post office in the hedge in the lower corner of the garden, a fine, spacious building with padlocks on the doors and every convenience for the mails, also the females," he joked, "Letters, manuscripts, books, and bundles can be passed in there, and as each nation has a key, it will be uncommonly nice, I fancy."

Despite the sea of disagreement and discussion about the acceptance of a new member, none of the girls every regretted their decision in allowing Laurie to join the club as Sam Weller. They enjoyed many more adventures together and allowed these adventures to become part of their game.

Laurie gave Cherry frequent, mocking glances throughout the meeting as if to say, "Haha, I told you that you would be mine today" which in response Cherry just smiled.