7

Charity had felt so humiliated by what happened yesterday, she understood why he turned her down but she wished that he hadn't. She was meant to leave today early in the morning. She packed all her clothes and went to grab the rest of her belongings when she spotted a note on her bed.

Meet me at the hill

~the man who loves you

She held the note in her hands and headed out the door before her aunt awoke. She ran up the hill as fast as she could when she saw his figure.

"You came" he sighed walking up close to her.

"Of course I would" she said.

"You're leaving today?" He asked

"Yes."

"I will miss you. I will come and see you as much as often-" He started

"It might be easier if you wouldn't" she interrupted looking away.

"Don't say that"

"I'm being serious, Laurie. This whole situation, marrying another man, would be a lot easier if you weren't there to remind me of how much I love you" she said.

She looked at the sun in the sky knowing she would have to leave soon, very soon. Once her aunt woke up she would coming searching for her.

"Laurie, I will always love you. I heard what you said the other day and I understand now that I was selfish. Running away would put you at risk, it would devastate your grandfather and the March's. You have a lot more to stay for than I do." Cherry said.

"Charity!" they heard a call in the distance. It was her aunt.

"I want to write you. You don't have to see me but I will be writing you everyday. There is no stop you can put to that." Laurie decided.

She nodded her head, "Charity!" The calls got louder, her aunt got closer.

"Oh, Teddy, mon amour pour toi est plus fort que tout, tu es l'amour de ma vie. Je t'aimerai jusqu'à mon dernier souffle" she said meaning 'My love for you is stronger than anything, you're the love of my life. I will love you until my last breath'

Et je t'aimerai même après parce que je t'aime tellement. Tu es mon soleil, Je ne peux pas vivre sans toi" he said meaning 'And I will love you even after then because I love you so much. You are my sunshine, I cannot live without you.'

"Charity! We are leaving" Her aunt had finally spotted them from afar.

Charity had realized how close she had been relationship wise with Laurie and now she had realized how close she was to him in terms of distance. She noticed her aunt walk closer to them now when she leaped on to Laurie placing her arms around his neck and kissing him.

17 years of loving each other went into the kiss. He spun her slightly holding her tight to his chest. No number of callings or threats from her aunt would break them apart. Through this kiss they knew that no number of years would stop them from loving each other. No number of husbands or wives, countries between them, marriages...deaths. They had both only ever had 2 kisses in their lives, both of them were to the same people. 

They were not sure how long their kiss had been when they were pulled apart by her aunt. It could have been years, months...seconds. Her aunt yelled and scolded her but none of it mattered, she couldn't even focus on what her aunt was saying. She couldn't take her eyes off him and he couldn't take his eyes off her. She slipped a ring off of her finger and onto his.

Her aunt dragged her away and she snapped back into focus, "Charity!" He called smiling and waving at her, "Charity! Ma chérie"  

"I'll miss you! Mon trésor" She called back. 

On her way to the carriage she was able to say good bye to Jo and Beth who aided in making her childhood wonderful. A tearful goodbye with Jo and heartfelt farewell with Beth. 

The second she stepped into the carriage she leaned her body out the window despite her aunts attempts to pull her back in she spotted Laurie and frantically waved her arms at him until he was out of sight. A pure sense of Deja Vu coming over them. 

Her aunt proceeded to hit her "You whore!" she said in between smacks, "Have you no shame! You are to be wed! Frolicking around with that boy." 

"I don't understand why you don't see him the way I do. He is wealthy-"

"Not nearly wealthy enough to support a woman of good nature, much less 2 of them"

"-he is kind to me, and we love each other" she said calmly.

"Well, sometimes, love isn't everything." her aunt said.

"And my uncle? I assume you didn't love him either." she said.

"I loved your uncle and that was my mistake. He wasn't wealthy enough to support my family so my family left me. That won't happen with you, you're welcome" her aunt said.

"You're welcome? For starters, I don't think of you as family, I think of you as a leech desperate for money. And second of all, I would rather be happy and in love than be depressed and extremely rich. I have no desire to give you a good life. I you want so much money, then marry again and if you find that improper I could honestly care less. I do not love you, I do not like you, I have a seething burning hatred for you" She said spitting acid.

The entire way to France, Charity could think of only 2 things. 1) Her dear Teddy and 2) How she believed her aunt would die.