𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲!

iris never felt as elated as she was driving to rowan's brother's basketball game

iris never felt as elated as she was driving to rowan's brother's basketball game. his hand was on her thigh, the music had...interesting lyrics, and she noticed how he'd glance at her every so often. it was the same rowan she'd always known, but more...domestic. this rowan was a softer, quieter version she'd never seen before. she didn't know whether she liked it or wished he'd be as uptight as he was before—just because that was who she fell for in the first place. not that she didn't like it, but...it was simply different.

when they parked, he immediately clicked the seat back and rolled his head until those honey eyes locked onto her, a suggestive smile curving his lips. "five minutes til the game starts." she rolled her eyes, getting out of the car and walking all the way around. her begging was more likely than her attempting to climb over the center console—that said, not likely whatsoever. it was just more effort than it seemed worth.

she settled into his lap, brushing her hands up his shoulders, neck, and cupped his jaw. he gently held her chin, pulling her in for a kiss. the usual butterflies in her stomach were still there, fluttering in excitement. but something about it felt different. again.

like it wasn't how she'd always imagined in her head before confessing to him.

like something was missing.

and the nagging feeling turned into a question that lit up in her head like a lightbulb. except instead of her eyes lighting up with it, her stomach dropped to her feet.

it forced her to pull back slightly. rowan's brows lowered in confusion, lips turning downward in a frown that immediately made her nervous. she hated the question that burned on her tongue. hated the way she didn't want to ask it but knew it had to be asked.

but most of all, she hated that it slipped out of her mouth before thinking. it through. "so...we had sex." he hummed. "we've kissed." he hummed again. "what does that make us?" she could physically feel him stiffen underneath her, and the dread that filled her stomach was sickening. it was the kind of feeling when you say something you immediately want to take back, or when you order something you thought would be good but tasted disgusting.

"well." he cleared his throat. "we aren't dating."

wait, what?

"what?" she echoed. "but... we had dinner several times."

"iris, we've gone out to dinners and lunches before. i don't see why this is any different."

she couldn't believe him. "are you serious?"

he blinked. "did you think we were dating?"

she scoffed, sliding off of him and out of the car, going around the hood to grab her bag from the passenger seat. this whole time— he wasn't even— how was she so stupid? she'd misunderstood the whole situation, and now she looked like a complete idiot.