Chapter Three

Hi! Remember to leave comments on how I can improve my writing, what you like, or ideas for the plot. I hope you like the story so far!

------

"They really destroyed this place," I mumbled to Beth. The rebels had left a path of destruction everywhere.

She nodded with wide eyes and an open mouth, "Yeah. But hey, listen Riss, it's not your fault."

"Yeah it is, if I hadn't been selected then we wouldn't be here in this mess." She cringed when I said "selected." It was her dream to marry Prince Alexander and be Princess with the power to decide right from wrong. And here I am, her best friend, getting the chance she would never have. Plus I didn't even want to be Princess.

She stopped me by putting her hands on my shoulders and made sure I was listening.

"Listen Clarissa. You have an amazing chance here. You can make a difference, serve justice, help the country! Please don't throw it away. Tell me you will try, please?" She looked at me with pleading eyes and where her stance was reprimanding a second ago it is now kind and hopeful.

"Sure," I mumbled, "but he will never choose me, I'm not enough like a Prestige is supposed to be." And it's true, he is probably expecting 35 selfish girls who will bow to his every need and have their fair share of needs too. But I will be the one girl who doesn't want to fight, who will sit back and enjoy the view.

"Well, we all know that's true. Because the famous Clarissa Dossen would never do anything to act like the Prestige she is." I laughed at her arrogant voice and the way she said my famous last name.

Last night when my mother called to tell me to "be kind to the Prince, never disagree with what he says, and for goodness sake, mind your manners!" I agreed, but oh is she in for a surprise once I arrive at the palace. The version of me the public knows is a perfect little girl who will do anything to get more fame and fortune. I am planning on not being that version of me at the palace.

I get one more week here, and then they are shipping me off. I can't seem to stay in one place for long, can I? First boarding school and then the palace!

"I'm really going to miss you, Elizabeth. I don't know what I will do without you."

"Well...how about this. You send me a letter each week telling me how you are, and you get to ask one question. Then I send you a letter about how I am, and ask you one question. We each answer each other's questions next week along with a new question. How does that sound Riss?"

"Yes...if I am there for a week. Because I'm telling you, he's going to hate me!" I hope she believes me this time.

The door opens to her floor and she hugs me quickly, then steps inside. "You'll be having so much fun you won't want to come back!" She joked and laughed at my disgusted face.

I have three consolations for going to the palace. Firstly, that the palace is, surprisingly, technology free. So my mother can't reach my by phone, message, or any kind of screen. Peace at last.

The second consolation is that from what I've seen on the Reports, the Prince isn't like the other Royalty, especially not his parents. When the law saying that Modests didn't have a minimum wage was passed, you could see Prince Alexander visibly cringe. He always has a look of sympathy in his eyes too, like he really cares about what's happening to his people, unlike his father. King Lamont just stares ahead with eyes like daggers.

Finally, I am exited to meet Princess Samantha, although she is currently learning about the governments of other nations around the world. I probably won't make it far enough into the competition to meet her once she comes back, though she seems really sweet as well and is just a year younger than me.

I walk into my room and sit on the couch. It's so soft it's comforting. I wish there was some way I could switch places with Beth. She was born to be a Princess. Everyone keeps telling me, "Good luck!" or "Win his heart, Clarissa!" but I don't want to. Beth does, and she is poised, polite, gracious, thoughtful, and patient. She would be so much better at this that I would.

§§§§§

Wow. Last week went by so quickly. I'm still getting over the fact that in a few hours, I will be at the palace, getting pampered by a thousand maids. I hope I don't disappoint them when they learn I don't like make up, sparkles, or poofy dresses.

Beth came up to me on the send-off stage with remnants of tears left on her face. See, she was thinking of me while I was just being selfish and thinking about myself. I still think she should go instead of me, but you aren't allowed to forfeit your place. If you were, I would have done so weeks ago.

I hugged her tightly and whispered, "I'm going to miss you so much. I will start writing that first letter on the plane."

"Yeah, me too. But you enjoy yourself, okay? Don't let me learn that our new Princess has let herself become a curled up clump of a girl in the corner. I mean it." She laughed softly, knowing entirely how possible that was.

"Okay, Beth. And you make some more friends here okay? I don't want you to be miserable while I'm gone, but I will come back as soon as possible." She doesn't really have any friends besides me, and I don't have any besides her. Everyone else kinda hates us because of how we dislike the labels. Oh, well.

"Yeah I'll try. I'm sure Candace is going to love me sitting at her table. I can just imagine her smile. I still can't believe the palace has no technology!" She just can't get over the technology thing. I love it, though.

"It's okay Beth, I'll survive. You don't forget about me!" I said as I was ushered away. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Beth is the nicest anyone has ever been to me, we are like sisters now.

She looked more serious now with a hint of a smile left on her tear-stained face. "Never."