Chapter Fourteen

Thank you so much for all of the attention this story is getting! Remember that if you like a chapter, comment + vote please!

--

"Clarissa, we will just get you out of this dress, and then we will leave you to yourself." Fawn tells me.

"Oh, no, that won't be necessary."

My maids stood there with confused looks and twitching hands, like they wanted to tell me something.

"The un-dressing or the leaving?"

"The un-dressing, I ... need to stay dressed a little longer." My maid's eyes widened in understanding.

"Oh, Clarissa...we were- well, I was, that is- umm...we saw what happened on the Report."

"Oh...that? I don't- I can't - well, let's just say I don't really understand either and I hope that he explains."

"So your Prince is coming! Oh, we must get you ready!" My maids immediately busied themselves with re-applying makeup, and predicting what he is going to say.

"I told you, he's not my Prince. And none of what you are predicting will come true, I mean, we've known each other for weeks, he can't just end the Selection now!" My maids immediately started to argue with me, blind to the fact that love at first sight just doesn't exist. Then their voices trailed off, and their gazes locked on something, someone, outside my door.

And then they curtseyed, "Your Highness."

I flinched and then turned to the door, where Alexander was casually leaning with a smirk on his face. He looked like he had been there a while.

Immediately anger boiled up in me. I still can't believe what he did.

He sees the anger burning in my eyes and takes a step back.

"Clarissa- w-why...are you mad at me?" His eyes widen as he come to this conclusion.

"Oh, is it really that obvious?" I say sarcastically.

"What did I do wrong, if I may ask?" He takes a step towards me and I take a step back. I don't know where my maids went, but they aren't here anymore.

"You embarrass me on national television by making me have an interview with no notice, single me out, and then kiss me? What was that about? All of sudden I am the only thing Sarrione is talking about! The girl who got too close, too quick, to Prince Alexander. Who played him. And when you send me home, what will they say then! They- they'll probably think I am using you!" I erupt.

Alexander looks like he just walked through a tornado, but steps forward as if I am the center of it. The place where calm exists, but I am everything but calm.

He rubs the back of his neck, puts his hand down and breaths deeply as if about to talk, but then rubs his neck again.

"I'll start with your first statement." His voice comes out gentle, and he takes yet another step forward. When he came in, I was at my dresser, on the same side of the wall as the door, and so he came around in front of me. I take another step back, closer to the wall. As his hand anxiously rubs his neck, he continues.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you, nor will I ever mean to. I have been doing interviews on the spot my whole life, so I just...assumed it would be normal for you too. I apologize. And I didn't mean to single you out, Connor put me in a tough position. But I still could have done more to help you. And so I apologize. And...well...after you said all that about me, I figured your feelings for me were the same. Otherwise, I don't know why I did that on TV. I guess I just wanted someone else to see and understand how I feel about you. I apologize. I will make sure nobody thinks you are using me. Finally...I don't plan on sending you home. Anytime soon." Wow. I had expected some sort of backlash, but...apologizing for things he didn't really mean to do? For things he doesn't have anything to do with? Wow...I don't think I could have done that.

During his speech, he had continually taken steps, causing me to back up as well. I only have one more step until I hit the wall.

"Umm ... thank you- you know you didn't have to do that, right?" I step back as he moves closer.

As I'm pressed against the wall, he's inches away from me, and he leans in.

"I know. And I also don't have to do this-" he kisses my neck-"or this-" he kisses my jaw, slowly moving his way up to my lips, "or this-" he ends, as he presses himself against me, wrapping his hands in my hair and lifting me up slowly as he kisses my lips.

He brings me over to the balcony, and falls down on they large daybed, still holding me.

"I don't have to, I want to."

"Me too." I whisper, and kiss him back. I'm sure my heart is glowing just like the stars above us.

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect moment.

Alexander walked through a storm to find me, and now I have to walk through my own.