Chapter Thirteen

Alexander glanced at me as he walked on set for the Sarrione Capital Report.

I winked at him as he looked at my dress appraisingly. His eyes widened and his mouth opened.

"Tonight" he mouthed. I nodded with a grin. Maybe I was too excited, but who could blame me?

My dress tonight was red - bright, simmering, shining red - that glimmered like silver. Sleeveless with a sweetheart neckline. Since I only had a little breakfast this morning, I can fit in it. Still, my lovely maids had quite a struggle.

The dress hugged my curves a little too much for my preference. It looks like I'm trying to get everyone's notice, and keep it forever. The other Selected notice too, and I hurry over to Cece and Eleanor, where they are sitting in the third row, to my great relief.

Alexander already notices me though. Too much. Does he even consider the other girls?

I've been so absorbed in my thoughts that I haven't been paying attention to Connor's interview with Alexander. I think I zoned off somewhere around, "Goooodnight, Sarrione!"

Now Alexander is scratching his neck, purposefully looking over at us, as if we can give him an answer. I ask Cece what Connor just asked him.

"He asked if Alexander had any favorites already. He couldn't really, because he's only met us once for heavens sake!"

I can understand how that might stress Alexander out.

Connor is watching his gaze, and as it lands on me for too long, he catches on.

"So, I see we do have a favorite here, hmm?" He asks. Oh, gosh. "And what a marvelous dress she is in tonight, don't you agree Prince Alexander?" I feel dizzy. No. I can't feel dizzy, not now.

Alexander keeps his gaze with me, and I can feel the other Selected staring daggers at me.

"I agree completely, Connor. She looks stunningly beautiful." I blush, redder than my dress. I look at my hands, and then back at the camera. I can't believe he didn't just brush it off. I mean, saying "sure" would be one thing, but that?

I have just caught the attention of Sarrione. And, Alexander's parents too.

The King looks murderous, and the Queen is grinning. It seems I was right about them.

Alexander sheepishly looks at his hands, obviously embarrassed for being called out about me.

Oh, well.

After a few more questions, Conner came to the last one with Alexander.

"The question we have all been waiting for, has anyone gotten the pleasure of a kiss?". Me. If he says yes, they will think he is moving too quickly, but if he says no...

Alexander blushed, and all the girls looked around, wondering if anyone had been kissed. I just stared at him, anxious to know his answer.

"Well...one." He looked proud to say it, while embarrassed.

Conner's eyes widened, "Would this lucky girl be the one you...mentioned...earlier?"

Both men turned to look at me.

"Yes," Alexander says, barely above a whisper.

Conner looks at me, gauging my reaction. He looks back at Alexander, who's gaze will only lead him back to me. And mine only leads to him.

"Lady Clarissa, I believe you have sparked the interest of Sarrione." No, no. "Would you mind giving me the honor of answering a few questions?" Yes, I would mind. I give Alexander a pained look, and he shrugs his shoulders slightly.

He might do it every week, but some of us aren't used to being interviewed on live TV! Are you kidding me, Alexander?

"I'm sure she will," Alexander said, filling in the space with words I was avoiding.

Conner gestured for me to come down. I shoot Alexander what I hope is a death glare. Otherwise, it would be humiliating.

His eyebrows knit together, confused.

Confused?!?

I walk down to Conner, and his grin grows wider towards me for the cameras, where his eyes are troubled. It seems he understood my glare towards Alexander.

Alexander smiles at me as I sit down, and his hand moves to grab mine. On the love seat, I make sure to have at least a foot of space between us, and place my hands on my left leg, away from him.

Conner asks his questions, and seems to sense my frustration, so he announces that this will be his last question.

"What do you, honestly, think of Prince Alexander." What? That question? Ugh...and I'm mad at him too.

But when I finally look over at Alexander, he is looking at me with great interest displayed on his face, trying to read my emotions and what I am going to say.

I can't do this to him. I have to pretend I'm not mad. I have to tell the truth, even if I haven't accepted it yet.

"Prince Alexander is a paragon of compassion. He is brave, selfless, and deep. I can not imagine him doing anything to purposely hurt someone. He apologizes and blames himself for mistakes other people make. He listens and cares about what people, his people, say. And when he speaks, he does not waste words. When faced with danger and fear, he looks it in the eyes, and moves forward. Behind everything he says, there is a mountain of thought put into it. Prince Alexander, whoever he ends up with, is by far the best person to fill the role of King. And the lucky girl whom he chooses as his wife, will not just be a figure for the public. She will be someone who he devotes his attention to, and cares about her every need.

"While I have not known him for long, I know I am telling the truth. It is obvious to everyone who sees him. The way he carries himself, the way he treats everybody around him, the words he shares, and the things he keeps to himself."

I look over, emotion welling in my eyes, to the King and Queen. The Queen...I have made Queen Adelaide cry. Cry. Happy tears though, the ones that happen when some part of you feels welcomed, accepted, loved, proud, joyful, and spills out into the world.

She looks at me and smiles, making more tears fall. She quickly wipes them, and her expression is one that a mother gives her daughter. Proud, caring, with love.

I'm sure my face lights up even more than it already has. Not even the King, who has a disappointed, unhappy emotion on his face as he looks at Alexander and I, can spoil my excitement.

And Alexander, he looks at me lovingly, with a giant grin on his face that could fill thousands of hearts with happiness. He makes eye contacts with me, and his smile, however impossible it seems, gets bigger.

His hand grabs mine, and I smile back. Any anger I had has dissipated.

Then something really unexpected happens.

He kisses me, on the lips, on camera, in front of all of Sarroine.

----

Cliffhanger! Please comment + vote!