Chapter Twenty

A/N:  I just want to say thank you, thank you, THANK YOU For over 100 reads on the first chapter that is amazing!  Keep commenting, voting, and following! Sorry if this chapter is badly written, I was really rushed and will edit later!

----

Okay, let's just get this clear.  Those hours after I woke up in the safe room with Connor and Alexander?  Worst hours of my life.  Aside from the insisting pain of my arm, the two men looked had looked like they were going to murder each other.

***

And I think they don't realize that I notice.

I cough rather unsubtly, "Are you guys done with that,"  I wiggle my finger in the air, "stare fest you have going on?"

They both look up, startled, and I turn my attention to Alexander.  "Clarissa!  Your awake!"  He says.  He looks confused and says it like a question.

"I think so."

He laughs, "How are you feeling."

"I got shot, but other than that I'm feeling might fine, partner."  I say with a western accent.

Connor laughs, "Your in a good mood."

"Hey Connor!  Yup, by the way, how long was I asleep?"

"Abou-"  Alexander interrupts him with a glare.

"It was three hours, Clarissa."  He moves closer to me, being quite possessive.  My plan is finally working.

I wince and look at Connor.  "Thanks for taking me here, Connor.  I'm hope I wasn't too...umm, strange?"

He and Alexander both laugh, "Aside from mumbling nonsensical things and singing about unicorns and lollipops, I think your fine.  For some reason, you didn't want to listen to A-"  Alexander coughs, not approving of whatever Connor was going to say.

"Are you guys all right?"

Both men smile immediately.   "Of course!  Just worried about you, my dear."  That was so unnecessary, Alexander.

Connor clenches his fists subtly.  This is going to be a long evening.

***

And now, eight hours after that, I'm packing my bags, getting ready to leave from the very doors I stepped through nearly two months ago.

No, don't worry.  I'm not leaving.  Yesterday, Jacqueline announced that our families were very shaken up by the rebel attacks that have been going on, very concerned for our safety.  Because of that, we are going home - well, to school -for a week, and we have to write in a diary, a diary, for heaven's sake, on how palace life has changed us.

Even though I'm going to miss Cecilia, Hope, and Eleanor, I am so so so so excited to be back at school, and see Beth!  I can talk to her about all the crazy things that have been happening, and she can tell me all the new gossip.

I put in the last piece of clothing, the clothes I wore on the plane.  I begged and begged and begged my maids to let me wear them back, but they insisted that I leave in what they call "a Royal Disappearance."

So I'm in a simple black gown with a v-shaped neckline and high collar.  I look like Royalty, but feel like Clarissa.  Perfect.

Three knocks on the door break my out of my reverie.  "Lady Clarissa?  I am the butler, coming to take your luggage down for you?"  The voice sounds familiar, and I wonder if this is the same butler that took my luggage the first day.

"Thank you sir, I will be right there."

But the butler doesn't wait outside.  I stiffen, hearing his footsteps grow closer.  Rebels.  The though crashes through my mind, and I jump to attention.

"Please wait outside."

Suddenly his hands grab my waist and pull me to him.  Deep breath in, deep breath out.  Don't freak out.  The voice sounded even more familiar this time, but I still can't place it, "Let go of me, and wait outside."

A more teasing tone invades his voice, "No can do, Lady Clarissa.  Although, you are sounding quite the Royal.  You look gorgeous too."

I relax in his arms, "Alexander!  You scared me so much! Don't ever do that again!  I though you were some creepy stranger coming to kidnap me and who-knows-what!"  He chuckles, his chest moving against my head, and spins me around.

"I'll take note of that, I just couldn't stay away on your departure morning."  I laugh breathily.  This is the guy I was falling for.

No.

I was not falling for him.  It was a deception, as he cuddled and kissed Bridgette to death.  I wish it was to death.

Unfortunately, she stills breathes.

Dark thoughts Clarissa, enjoy the moment.  You're going home.

"I was hoping I'd see you before I left."

"I hope you enjoy the view."  Arrogant!  But I still laugh at his cocky side.

I punch his arm lightly, "You wish, smart guy."

"Would you like to list more of my endearing qualities?"

I scoff.  "Endearing, more li-"

"Smart, as you said, incredibly sexy, great hair, not to mention those eyes, cunning, funny, has a great smile, oh, the list goes on and on and on."  I can't help but admit it, as I look in his eyes, they draw me in, deep pools of understanding.

"I'm sorry, Clarissa."

I whisper back, ready for this moment, "Me too."

"No- you, you have nothing to be sorry for."  He leans his forehead on mine, forcing me to stare straight up into his eyes.

"Sure.  I'll let you think that."

"You could never do anything wrong."

"Nobody's perfect."

"You're worth all those little mistakes.  Every bit of you, is perfect and I- I"  he stops short of words that would change everything.  Say it!  The nonsensical part of me urges.

I don't know what I'm doing when I reach up and plan my hand on his neck, but I do it anyways.  I'm faintly away of the noises of The Selected, but painfully aware of his arm so gently avoiding my wound, his breath so lightly caressing my skin.

And then we kiss, and the fireworks explode all over again.