Chapter Thirty-Six: Part One

I hold my breath, sucking my stomach in so I can fit in my dress.

The velvety fabric slides up around me, and as they begin to tie it I can tell it will fit perfectly. "Oh, ladies!" I exclaim, "This is- wow! This is astounding!"

And it truly was astounding. My dress is colored in a rich tone pulled from the shadowy reaches of the forest. The velvety fabric further deepens the feeling that I am a part of the forest as it swishes around me in the soft gold glow emitted from the gold accents.

The accents blossom, entwined like leaves reaching for light above the floor of the forest.

The lighter underskirt of lace is a textured pattern, similar to the undergrowth.

The dress is stunning, and I am the one wearing it to the Prince's birthday ball.

Unreal, right? Not to mention, adding to the fairy tale effect, I'm in love with the Prince, and I think he loves me back.

I feel like squealing! Calm down, Clarissa. Calm down.

My maids blush lightly, muttering their thanks and insisting that 'it's nothing.'

I shake my head at the three of them, laughing. "You all need much more appreciation for your work!"

They freeze. "No miss, we are fine, thank you." Just because they have been taught not to ask for thanks, to always serve those who are 'better' doesn't mean they can't take thanks.

"I insist. Have you all ever been to the gardens?" I'm sure I could arrange something with Alexander.

"Clarissa, you're really going to be late!" I shake my head at Lidea's pitiful attempt at changing the conversation.

"Lidea, no! You're not distracting me." The three of them twitch their hands, wishing they could to something to change my mind on this topic, but knowing they can't. "I repeat, have you ever been to the gardens?"

They shake their heads, but I can see the longing in their eyes. "But we see them all year round! It's fascinating watching them change from halcyon in the spring and summer to despairing in the fall and winter." Fern says. Her words evoke a melancholy feeling in me; she gets to fully understanding the beauty of the gardens, but behind walls.

I never knew the gardens were so off limits that maids couldn't go in. If The Selected and Royals can go in, accompanied by guards at a distance, so should they.

An idea sparks in my head. What if there was a tea in the garden for all the maids, guards, and behind-the-scenes workers at the Palace went? They could all dress in the clothes that they make so well for us, and just have a day to relax and be appreciated.

I'm sure Alexander won't mind. "Yeah, well, I'll come up with something!" I say cheerfully to them.

They look at me with a look of giving up in their eyes. "Alright, Clarissa. But now you must get to the ball!"

I laugh lightly and walk out of my room, leaving my lovely maids to do whatever it is they do when I'm gone.

My new idea flashes through my head, making me smile at the joy I hope I can bring them.

I jump, startled, as I see Alexander outside my door. "Alex!" I say, trying out the new nickname for him, which he grins about, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here as your date, to escort you to the ball." He explains confidently. "If you accept, that is."

"O-of course I accept," I take his hands, "I just don't understand. This is your ball, and you have fourteen other girls that will be there for you."

"Oh, I'm counting on a few of them to flirt with the guards." He dismisses the thought with a wave of his hand. At my still puzzled expression, he explains further, "I get to choose one of The Selected to accompany me as my date. And, of course, I chose you."

My heart swells at his romantic gesture. Normally, I wouldn't be happy about the attention I will receive, but tonight, who cares? Not me, that's for sure!

I smile sweetly at him. "Let's go then!"

He laughs, relieved, "Alright. And you look beautiful, by the way."

I blush, as predicted. "Thanks. You look very handsome, my Prince Alex."

"Thank you, my Lady Clarissa."

And off we went, arms linked, to my Prince's birthday ball.