matchablossom os: jealousy.

cherry was pissed. so pissed, he swore to himself to yank his precious carla over the head of the next person he caught flirting with joe. which he, fortunally, didn't actually end up doing.
"i'm going home. i've had it, i'm tired", he exclaimed, hopping on his skateboard. "h-hey, wait, kaoru!" joe grabbed his hand to keep him from going. "what? isn't it nice, getting this much attention?" cherry slapped his hand away. "what do you- wait! kaoru! cherry!" joe also jumped on his skateboard, excusing himself quickly to langa, reki and miya. he went after cherry, noting to compliment him on his hair later, when he was in a better mood, since it flowed behind him right now like a beautiful stream of sakura petals.
"could you maybe be so kind as to wait for me? what is it that upset you so much, kaoru dear?" "huh? upset? me? what makes you think that?" kaoru snapped back. "could it be... that you are... jealous?" joe's voice grew fainter with every word.
"... elaborate. what leads you to thinking that?" cherry's voice sounded so sharp that joe swore he could see the air before him being split.
"uh. maybe that girl that hit on me-" "uh-huh. yeah. that one girl. sure. what about the other two? the three guys? that one skater who said they came to s solely because they wanted to see you?"
"so it is jealousy-" joe concluded, being interrupted by cherry right away: "yeah no shit. i don't know, maybe, just maybe, you could tell these people that you're already taken? hm? ever thought of that? maybe then they'd stop hitting on you." cherry turned his head, looking joe in the eyes expectantly.
"... okay. i'll think of something, i swear. something that'll make everybody know", joe said, giving cherry a soft smile.
"whatever it is, make it tomorrow. at s. promise?" cherry held his pinky finger out to joe.
"pinky promise. sealed with a kiss", joe answered, hooking his finger with cherry's and leaning in for a kiss. cherry huffed, still pretending to be angry, but then went in for it and kissed him on the lips.

_-_-_-_

the next day, at s:
cherry, standing at the starting line.
right next to him, smirking like an idiot, joe.
cherry had just looked at him in surprise when joe pointed at him and yelled loudly, for everyone around to hear: "i challenge you to a beef!"
everyone cheered because the matches between the both of them were always close calls when it came to winning; plus it rarely happened at all.
in short, their matches always had everyone excited.
so when the light went green now and they both started at their highest possible speed, everyone screamed loudly, bets on who would win were made and the atmosphere was filled with excitement.
cherry had just gotten a little ahead of the other when he suddenly felt himself getting startled to the point where he almost fell off his board when he suddenly felt a hand grabbing his.
"J-JOE!! WHAT IN THE FUCKING HELL ARE YOU DOING?!??" he screamed at his partner.
"shhh, baby, calm down. i didn't wanna make this a real race in the first place. remember our promise from yesterday? this is me fulfilling it. don't worry, you don't have to do much. just follow my lead and don't let go of my hand, okay?" joe gave him a warm smile and a squeeze of his hand.
cherry sighed. "fine. but if this is a trick for you to win the race, i'm gonna beat the shit out of you."
"don't worry kaoru, i would never lower myself to such a below-surface-level. trust me, okay?" he brought their hands to his mouth and gave cherry's hand a kiss.
"okay."
they kept on holding hands, skating alongside each other, until joe used a curve to get ahead of cherry and then grab his other hand as well to spin him around. cherry yelped in surprise, but afterwards, when they were back to their previous position next to each other, he laughed and said: "that was actually so fun!"
joe beamed at him, his plan was beginning to succeed.
at the old abandoned factory, he slowed down and got behind cherry. he took both his hands again, and cherry just kept the speed from before, waiting excitedly for what joe was about to do next.
joe told him not to stray from the main path, and then he let go of cherry's hands, brought his skateboard as close to cherry's as possible without colliding, and brought his arms around cherry's waist.
"set carla's autopilot on and hop on my skateboard", joe whispered in his ear from behind.
"carla, autopilot!" cherry instructed his beloved skateboard and jumped backwards, landing, guided by joe's hands, on the other's skateboard.
"yes master."
"amazing, this is working out better than i thought it would", joe said with a chuckle.
they were almost at the finish line.
people were giving them confused looks, some already got what they could be doing, and joe felt happier than he had felt in a long time.
"okay honey, now turn my way!"
cherry spun around on the skateboard, now facing joe. they both had an excited gleam in their eyes.
"there's the finish line, what are you gonna do, kojiiro?"
cherry didn't get an answer.
joe pushed the skateboard down on his side, so it came to a halt, with cherry towering above him now.
it stopped at the finish line, and then joe pulled down the black mask cherry always wore at s.
he closed his eyes, snuck one hand to the back of cherry's neck, and kissed him.
in front of everyone waiting at the finish line, before all the camera's and fangirls, before everyone.
cherry was surprised, but then he smiled into the kiss and enjoyed it.
when they pulled away after what felt like an eternity, joe whispered an "i love you".
"i love you too", cherry responded, and joe could tell from his big smile that cherry was just as happy as he was.

a/n: i've been wanting to write something like this since forever.
isn't it such a cute idea ༎ຶ‿༎ຶ♡