Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine:

Ash had helped me to get dress in one of the many fancy gowns that I own.

She did my hair according to my mother's wishes and ensure that I looked nice enough for the guests.

What they do not realise is that these guests had seen me at my worst.

I decide not to let that out during this visit and left for the room that we are all meeting in.

The room was decorated with sofas and chairs of a very light red, almost pink colour. The walls had different portraits of my ancestors. The room was dimly lit with only the heavy curtains pulled open for the sunlight to cascade in.

When my eyes lands on Archer and Roan I ensure to please my mother by giving a slight curtsey.

"Your majesty." I greeted and I peeked through my lashes at a very amused Archer.

"My daughter, Aria, had wanted to thank your brother as well as yourself for saving and keeping her so safe." My mother says sweetly, and I feel myself getting frustrated with her.

Keep calm.

"It was really no problem, Queen Amber." Archer shoots her a pearly smile and she grins back. Something seems off with her.

I watch as she wrings her hands together and trying to keep the smile on her face.

My father speaks up, "I cannot thank you enough, King Archer." He grins, "My, you look exactly like your father when he was younger."

This clearly upsets Archer, but he shakes it off and keeps the smile on his face.

"Thank you, your majesty. I heard that you were rather close." Archer tries to keep on the topic of his father, and this makes my mother even more uncomfortable.

"We were, yes." My father smiles, his thoughts clearly in the past, "We were going to introduce our families to each other. Starting with our wives," My father smiles sweetly at my mother who only gives a small smile back, "At that time your mother was expecting Roan."

"I see." Archer nods, his eyes traveling to me for a second.

"Your father was a majestic king in his time, but your mother's death had devastated him." My father carries on and Archer just nods tightly.

I can see that Roan is also getting uncomfortable.

"How is it then that we have never met Princess Aria before?" Archer asks the question that we have both been wondering ever since we met.

My father frowns at this and my mother clears her throat.

"How about a drink?" She offers and my father raises his hand, quieting her.

"We did not let you meet Aria as she was not going to meet your father in the state that he was." My father answers. My mother moves away from him to the serving table, grabbing a few glasses and pouring cold water in them.

She serves it quietly to the kings and to Roan and I, before taking her own glass and taking a seat in one of the chairs.

Her thoughts were not where they should be.

"Your daughter would have been very young. I do not think she would have realised the state my father was in." Roan speaks up, since our ages are closer to each other he can take an easy guess.

"Aria was not ready to leave the castle grounds." My mother speaks up and I face her, she can see my frustration on my face but chooses to ignore it.

"When was I ever allowed to leave?" I ask and my father gives me a warning glance. "No, tell me." I demand and he sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose.