8| Aria Meets Smackle

"ANCIENT GREECE--" Cory started his lesson while holding a present, before he got cut off by Riley.

"What that? What that that?" Riley asked, pointing at the present with excitement.

"What thi-this?" Cory pointed to the wrapped box he held, "This is a present."

"Is it for me?" Riley smiled.

"What's your game, Matthews?" Maya asked, crossing her arms.

"Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present." Everyone except Aria and Maya raised their hands, "Oh, Maya, Ari, what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to you?"

"Well, yes. That's one of the many arrows in my quiver," Maya shrugged.

Farkle shuddered, "Medieval talk-- what are you doing to me, woman?"

Aria looked at the boy confused before she turned and answered her father's question, "I just don't want it."

"How can you not want it? It's so pretty!" Riley cried.

Aria shrugged, "Not everything that's pretty on the outside is pretty on the inside."

"Riley," Cory said, placing the box on his daughter's desk.

"Yay!" Riley cheered, before opening the present and pulling out a wooden frame, "The Trojan Horse?"

"Surprise," Cory did jazz hands.

"This isn't a present. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing," Riley complained.

"How you doing, honey?" Maya asked.

"I'm all worked up," Riley pouted.

"I know," Maya nodded.

"Like I said, not everything that's pretty on the outside is pretty on the inside," Aria told them.

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?" Cory asked the class.

"They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something," Riley frowned.

"They captured it like a trophy and brought it inside," Aria said, amused by her sister's reaction.

"Right," Cory nodded, "That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy. What have we learned here?"

Lucas raised his hand.

"Mr. Friar?"

"Don't make assumptions based on what you see?" Lucas tried.

"Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example out of you. So here's a gift for you," Cory said and pulled out another wrapped present.

"Ooh-- No! I want to-- No! Pretty ribbon-- No!" Riley fought with herself.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas said.

"No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good. Aren't you all proud of me, Dad?" Riley smiled.

"No," Cory said.

Lucas opened the present and pulled out a card, "Get out of detention free." He read, sharing a quick look with Aria, as they were both in on this.

"Ooh, I could use one of those. Gimme that and I won't call you 'Ranger Rick' all week," Maya negotiated.

"Here you go," Lucas gave her the card.