9| Aria Meets Crazy Hat

MAYA AND THE TWINS ENTERED THE SUBWAY, with garbage bags to protect them from the rain.

Well, Maya and Riley had garbage bags - Riley was using hers as a poncho while Maya held hers over her head. Aria, on the other hand, was using a black umbrella.

"There she is again," Riley pointed to Evelyn Rand, who was sitting on a nearby bench.

"Crazy Hat's always here," Maya shrugged.

"You guys don't know who that is?" Aria asked, confused.

"Crazy Hat," Maya shrugged.

"Oh boy." Aria sighed.

"What do you think her deal is? Former movie star? Olympic figure skater?" Riley asked.

"Bum on a bench," Maya deadpanned.

Aria face-palmed but refrained from saying anything as she was sure: a) they probably wouldn't listen to her and b) Evelyn Rand would have something to do with their latest adventure.

"But look at how she looks at everyone," Riley said, "What goes on in a head like hers? I guess we'll never know," She shrugged.

"Hey, Crazy Hat!" Maya shouted, "What goes on in your head?"

"And a new adventure begins," Riley sighed.

"Called it," Aria muttered.

Evelyn looked over at the girls and said, "You, you and you, c'mere! I'll teach you about life."

Maya and Aria sat down beside her but Riley decided to remain standing.

"Can't. Stranger. You want me to sit on the bench, I'm gonna need three forms of identification," Riley said.

"Normally I'd agree with you sis, but she's good," Aria said.

"Trust me. I know who she is. She's alright," A cop who was standing nearby told Riley.

"Okay, Copper." Riley saluted.

"Hey, that's Officer Copper to you," He said with a teasing smile.

Evelyn patted the spot on the bench beside Aria, and this time, Riley sat down.

"Mornin' Evelyn. Never gonna stop rainin', is it?" The officer asked.

"That's okay, Eugene. Two of these dollies are about to give me one of their designer ponchos," Evelyn told him with a smile.

"They're garbage bags, Eugene. But, you have to put a hole in your head," Riley said after pulling out a garbage bag.

"Ah, so you can breathe," Eugene nodded in understanding.

"So the garbageman doesn't throw you out," Aria chuckled.

"Yep, that happened," Maya said.

"I was yelling, but he didn't care." Riley pouted.

"We rescued her from the truck," Maya pointed to her and Aria.

"They chased me all the way to 33rd street," Riley smiled.

"Wow, now those are friends. Me? I don't chase nobody for nothin'." Eugene shrugged.

"What if I stole a banana?" Maya asked him.

"I'd be very disappointed in you," Eugene answered.

"Okay," Maya sighed.

"I have observed that you three are good friends," Evelyn hummed.

"Ari and I are twin sisters," Riley smiled.

"I know," Evelyn shrugged.

"Don't miss a thing, do you, Crazy Hat?" Maya jokingly asked.