The Difference A Year Makes

(A/N) It is my first and only Drinny one-shot, because I simply felt like it. I don't really ship it but it was fun to write. This story takes place during The Deathly Hallows and After the war.

June

Harry is back.

He's only there for a meeting with Dumbledore, but she'd been happy about it. She gladly says yes to his invitation to go to Hogsmeade to catch up. She doesn't quite notice - or care - when the alcohol starts seeping down her throat, and his, intoxicating them both and making them lose their usual inhibitions around each other.

She's has wanted him for years. He broke up with her after mere months because of fear for her safety but it hasn't stopped her wanting him. It hasn't stopped her love.
They fall in bed, intoxicated and horny. She feels his lips on her, everywhere on her, leaving burning marks. Teeth nipping at her throat. Hands travelling over her body, making her skin tingle.

She comes, and then he does the same, and they lie panting together, limbs tangled and sweaty. They fell asleep together.

When she wakes up, he is gone.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

July

The apartment is small; it's only one room and the tiny kitchen. To Ginny, who's been sharing a room with four class mates for seven years, it's heaven.

She hangs curtains and places the flower her mother gave her as a moving-out gift on the window sill. Then she drops down onto her bed, worn out. She's been moving furniture all morning and even with magic it's heavy work.

But she wants to do heavy work because it keeps her from thinking.

Tears start to burn behind her eyelids.

'Voldemort deserved to die.'

The Daily Prophet lies beside her. It's a week old now but she hasn't been able to throw it away. The words cut deeply into her but she can't look away.

'The Boy Who Lived Dies'

Voldemort deserved to die, but Harry didn't.
She buries her head in her pillow and cries.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

August

She doesn't have morning sickness very often, but after a while, she realises that is what it is. Sometimes, she has to run from her room at the Ministry and puke her guts out.

She does a pregnancy test and it's positive. It's only confirmation for her; she already knows. She senses it in her body.

She doesn't know what to feel about carrying Harry's baby. There has been no other; there has never been anyone else.
She knows she has to decide what to do. She knows people will talk ill of her if she's pregnant out of wedlock and she knows that she only has a little while longer to decide on an abortion.

Yet in the depths of her mind she knows she could never kill Harry's baby.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

September

When she tells her mother, her mother cries. Ginny can't tell if it's happy tears or sad and neither can her mother.

She sits with her mother and talks for hours. They are alone in the house; all the boys have moved out just as she has, and her father is at work. Ginny should be at work too, but she took the day off. She wanted her mother to be the first to know.