Life Changing Event

This story takes place after the war.
For Mature Audience.

Romione6953 hope you like it.

Ron finished stirring the two cups of cocoa, and dropped the spoons in the washing-up bowl. He picked up the mugs, and walked slowly out the kitchen into the sitting room.

Hermione was sat on the sofa, staring with half-closed eyes into the crackling fire.

"Here you go, 'Mione." Ron said, as he put the mugs gently onto the coffee table "One cup of cocoa with no sugar."

Hermione smiled lazily as she leaned forward. Being the daughter of two dentists, Hermione had something of a resistance to adding sugar to drinks. It was something Ron would never understand- his own mug had four large spoonfuls of sugar stirred into it.

Ron sat down next to Hermione, and took a long sip of his cocoa. He felt the warm sensation reach his stomach, so that it felt like his whole body was comfortably snug.

The two of them were babysitting for Harry and Ginny, who were off to St. Mungo's for a check-up on Ginny's second pregancy.  Ron. had only just gotten used to the idea of Harry being married to Ginny and here they are having their second child.

He did like an excuse for looking after baby James though. That kid was adorable, and every time Ron heard the little boy gurgle, he felt his heart glow with affection.

Hermione drained her mug, and leaned slowly into Ron’s side, her bushy hair tickling his chin. He felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Even after so many years, Ron still found himself unable to believe that he was her husband.

Ron slowly moved his arm so that he was hugging her from the side. A small grin appeared on Hermione’s face, and she nuzzled into him.

They sat comfortably in silence, the glow of the fire giving the sitting room a warm, cosy feel. Hermione pulled her legs underneath her, and snuggled down into Ron’s side.  

There was a small gurgle from James from the baby monitor as he turned over in his sleep. Ron smiled.

"Maybe we should think about having kids."

Ron was shocked that he had said the words aloud, he was even more shocked when he realised that Hermione had said them with him, in perfect unison.

Hermione raised her head to look at him, and her face began to turn pink. Ron could feel his ears burning, just like they always did.

Ron loved Hermione, and by some miracle she loved him back, but the thought of having children with Hermione made him feel as if his head was on fire.

He had never been more happier than when Hermione had told him that she loved him.

"D-do you…" Hermione mumbled, her face turning scarlet "D-do you think you’d want to….have....children?"

"Y-y-yes." Ron stuttered, hands trembling slightly "I-I mean…if-if you wanted to…."

He swallowed nervously. His stomach gave a funny lurch.

"I-I love you, 'Mione" he continued, as the fire continued to crackle in front of them.

Hermione smiled up at him. "I love you too, and I couldn’t imagine starting a family with anyone else either."

Ron beamed, just as Hermione put her arms around his neck and kissed him on the mouth. He could taste cocoa on her breath, and his hands became entwined in her hair.

The two of them slid back slowly on the sofa, so that Hermione was lying on Ron's chest. Ron's other hand stroked Hermione’s back, and Hermione’s hands were scrunched in Ron’s jumper.