Chapter O|N|E

Grace Evans is shoved into a room. The door locked instantly behind her. She whirls around, checking her surroundings.

"Well, you're a pretty one," a figure emerges from the shadows. Tall, dark, would be considered handsome for most, he cuts a commanding figure. Grace backs against a wall.

"Smart too, if those instincts are anything to go by," he comments.

"Who are you?" Grace asks, fighting to keep her voice from shaking.

"I ask the questions. Who are you?"

"Grace. But you already knew that." Grace takes a step away from the wall. The man walks a circle around her.

"Hmm," he mutters, "How smart are you, Grace?"

"I was top of my class when schools existed,"

"Blood type?" He asks.

"A negative," she answers. This goes on for a while. Him asking and her answering. Eventually he's satisfied.

"Sir, what will I be doing?" Grace asks tentatively. The way he whips his head around to glare at her is frightening.

"I think we have the perfect customer for you.," that's all he says before leaving.

***

Grace is locked in the room for what feels to be an eternity. She's been walking around the perimeter since the vampire left. Then the clicking of the lock startles her. A vampire walks into the room and grabs her.

"Struggle and make it worse for yourself," he informs her. Grace is dragged along multiple hallways until they reach a room. She is thrown into it. She spins around and sees the same man that interviewed her.

"Come human, your new life awaits you."

***

The prince paces his room. He has just received the news about his new pet, and her special rules. Wanting to see the girl they deem worthy of him, one of the highest ranking vampires, he grows impatient. Finally, a knock echoes through the room. He throws the door open and is greeted by the human inspector, Luis.

"Prince Alaric Sterling," Luis bows. A leash has been fastened around his wrist, and disappears around the doorframe.

"Have you got her?" Alaric asks. He cranes his neck trying to see her, but fails.

"I do, your highness. She is just here," Luis pushes Grace toward him and through the door. Knowing exactly what the Prince's first move will be,, he leaves the Prince to his devices.

"Name," Alaric barks, before the door has even closed.

"Grace," Grace answers.

"Follow me." Alaric leads Grace to a room. Inside it is decorated with bedroom stuff, and a cage.

"You shall stay in the cage, unless I say otherwise. You will address me as Master. Clear?" Alaric asks.

"Yes, Master," Grace swallows. She's anticipating his next move, waiting for his fangs to sink into her neck and drain her. Pictures of the people closest to her drained of blood flash through her head.

"You smell. Showers that way," Alaric points to a door. "Be quick."

***

She comes out of the bathroom, dressed in the slave clothes of a royal. She has brushed her hair, and now it hangs down her back, just reaching her waist. A waterfall of golden locks. As he studies her, her amber eyes show hints of worry.

"You will sleep in the cage, unless told otherwise." Alaric says.

"Yes, Master," Grace looks into the cage. A mattress, pillow and blanket are inside. As well as a water bottle. Grace turns back to Alaric. She studies him. Tall, deep blue eyes and messy black hair. Alaric turns away from her gaze and sits at a desk. He points to the floor next to him.

"Sit," he commands. Grace sits. For the next hour, he works. Then he turns to her. His eyes study her, searching for something.

"Can you draw, Pet?" He asks.

"Yes, Master," Grace answers.

"How well?" He throws her a piece of paper, "Draw a plane, here is a description," another paper lands near Grace, followed by a pencil. Grace picks it up and reads about the plane he wants her to draw. She soon becomes engrossed in her drawing and finishes it quickly.

"Here, Master," Grace holds the papers and pencil up to him. Alaric takes the picture and studies it.

"Well done Pet. Very accurate," he says, and for a moment, Grace glows with praise. Then he turns back to his work and Grace is forgotten.

***

"Right Pet, dinner time," Alaric gets up and stretches. Grace freezes, and Alaric notices.

"Relax Pet, I will not drink from you tonight," he chuckles. Grace relaxes, only slightly.

"I will order some food for you," he goes to a device sitting on a chair, picks it up and presses on the screen a few times. "It will arrive soon, in the meantime come here,"

Grace walks up to Alaric. She's shaking,scared he's going to do something to her.

"Tonight I will be hunting with my brother. I will lock you in your cage, and you will go to sleep."

"Yes Master," Grace nods. A knock on the door startles her and Alaric answers it. He returns to her with a tray. Mashed potatoes and boiled mutton. Nutritious, but nothing special.

"Here, eat it and then go to bed," he hands it to her before going to the other room. Grace eats it and then climbs into the cage. When Alaric comes out, he locks it.

"Stay here and sleep," he orders, like he didn't just lock the door.

"Yes, Master," Grace says. Alaric walks to the door, giving Grace one last glance before leaving.

***

Grace sits alone in an unfamiliar room, in a cage. She looks around, trying to figure out what the shadows are caused by. Eventually she lays down, and closes her eyes. When she drifts off to sleep. Her dreams are eventful, they include her being drunk from until she almost dies, then stopping, only to do the same thing again, someone coming in and stealing her, the list goes on and on. Just before she falls into a deep sleep, Alaric returns and stands over her for a minute, watching. He hears her breathing slow as she drifts into deep sleep. Grace turns over, muttering something softly. He heightens his hearing to try and listen. But Grace has stopped whispering, and her body is relaxed. Her golden hair has splayed around her head like a halo. Fitting, he thinks. An angel for the devil of this island.