Chapter T|W|O

Grace Evans POV

The next few days are all the same. I wake up and have the supposedly nutritious slop. It tastes like burnt oatmeal that someone tried to fix by adding raw oats to the mix. Sometimes, I can feel something crunch in my mouth. Once I've eaten, I take my seat on the floor next to Alaric's desk and when he needs me to draw something, I do. When I'm not drawing, I'm thinking about my probable demise at the next blood moon. Most pets last a few, but this is a blood supermoon. The impact on the vampires when it's a supermoon makes their bloodlust 100 times stronger. A normal blood moon is only 10 times stronger. Thinking about Alaric draining me dry makes shivers run down my spine and goosebumps pop on my skin. I know he can sense my fear. He probably relishes it.

"Pet." Alaric says and gets up. "We are going for a walk," he reaches to the hook above his desk for the lead. Some days we walk for hours and others we don't walk at all. I stand and let Alaric fasten the lead to my collar. It's simple, just made of black leather with a silver ring to clip the lead on.

"Let's go," he tugs harshly on the lead, and I do my best to hide my stumble. He watches me, amused. A small smirk pulls at the corners of his mouth.

"You know you can actually make mistakes. No human is perfect, pet." He tells me, and I blush and nod my head.

***

Walking down the hallway is very uncomfortable. All the eyes are on the prince and his pet. The maids shoot me looks, some of jealousy, others of sympathy,and the other vampires watch me with hunger and bloodlust in their eyes. In some places, like the castle, being a servant is a higher position than a pet. We finally reach the garden where the prince walks. Luckily for me, this is his private garden. Instead of walking around the winding trails, Alaric walks toward the fence where the garden borders the forest. We come to a small gate and Alaric opens it and pulls me through. He stops for a moment. I take that moment to remember what it was like to be free. I close my eyes and breath. The scent of pine needles fills my nose. For the first time since meeting the vampires, I am completely relaxed and my guard is down. I realize my mistake and my body stiffens when I feel someone's gaze.

"Were you Wild?" Alaric asks, watching me. I avoid his gaze, not wanting to anger him with my answer.

"Yes Master," I nod, then duck my head to avoid hitting branches as we've started walking again.

"They never told me that," he mumbles thoughtfully. I let out an internal gasp and try to hide my shock. I'm pretty sure they have to tell the owners if the pet was Wild or Bred.

Shuddering, I hope we are not walking to my doom. Turns out I need not worry, we soon come across a pathway, and we follow it. The path leads to a stream, in the distance there must be a waterfall as I can hear water falling in the distance. The stream is crystal clear, and I can see the minnows swimming amongst the water weed. A few bigger fish swim past us, chased by massive eels, they would have fed my whole family for weeks.

Alaric is smelling the air, and he jerks his head back to watch me suddenly. "Let's go," Hespins on his heel and leaves, dragging me behind him.

***

"You never told me she was Wild" Alaric currently has Luis by the throat. His fingernails are pressing so hard into his neck, I can see blood dripping down his neck. I've never really seen a vampire bleed before.

"Does it matter?" Luis gasps, struggling for air. I am cowering away from the horrific scene in front of me. I knew vampires had violent tendencies, but not to their own kind. They never hurt each other, not even when they let us humans get away from them.

"Well, Wild ones are more likely to die when fed from, and you think it doesn't matter," Alaric growls, pushing Luis against the wall. Blood starts dripping faster, and thicker.

"Sorry," Luis can barely breathe now. His face is slowly turning purple, and I worry Alaric will kill him.

"I should throttle you to death. But that wouldn't be very good for my reputation," Alaric says before releasing Luis from the wall.

"Instead, I am banishing you from the castle. Be gone!" Alaric watches as Luis runs from the room. He turns to me. I gasp when I see his eyes. They are bright red. He stalks towards the cage. When he reaches it, and me, he unlocks it and drags me out. I try to hide my trembling. I thought I would die on the blood moon, but now?

"Just a little taste." he mutters. I see his fangs glinting in the light.

He opens his mouth. His fangs lightly scrape over my shoulder, before stopping on my neck. Slowly but surely I feel them begin to penetrate the skin. My trembling increases, and I hope that he doesn't notice. He does. His hands shoot out and steady my shoulders. Then I feel it. My blood rushing into his mouth. His teeth beneath my skin, poking the muscle. My breathing comes in gasps, my lungs rushing to get more air. A tingling sensation prickles my skin. Then, everything slows. My vision blurs and I finally relax. The tingling eventually fades away, remaining only where Alaric's fangs are buried in my neck. As fast as it started, he withdraws his fangs and licks the wound to seal it.

"What in the seven cities was that?" he yells.

***

"You only felt a tingling sensation," Alaric says for the millionth time. I nod. "Well, then how come it felt like I was drinking goddamn fire!?"

"I don't know, Master," I say, running my hands over my new scar. The lumps feel strange, and out of place on my skin.

"Stop," he barks. "You are human, aren't you?" he asks.

"That's what I was told, Master," I stand with my head down, hands clasped. Alaric storms over to my files. I cautiously follow him. He opens it, the page with my blood type on it.

"Species: Not assessed; subject had major blood loss." Alaric throws the file across the room. I step back slowly and carefully, trying to avoid his eyes. He notices.

"They should have told me!" In his rage, Alaric fails to realize his fangs are out, and he has claws. I creep into my cage.

"I'm going to hunt," he tells me, before jumping out the window. When I am sure he's not coming back, I relax. Then I go over and pick up my file. Sure enough, it says.

Species: Not assessed; subject had major blood loss

I'm human, am I not?