Chapter N|I|N|E

The Blood Moon is almost over. A few more hours, and we can stop worrying about rouges breaking into the room and draining us. We have already heard vampires rattle the door handle before kicking the door and carrying on.

"Grace, I'm cold." Lucas whines. He's lying on his bed, propped up by his elbows. I can see his muscles, and where they lead under the blanket.

"No you're not. You just want me in the bed." I reply and stick my tongue out. He wiggles his back at me suggestively. I sigh, and think about what that tongue was doing just a few hours ago.

"Come on, you're already thinking about it." Lucas says, moving his weight to one elbow. He drags the blanket down his body.

"Lucas." I try not to drag his name out as I say it. All we have done is eat, fuck and sleep for almost two days. I need a few minutes to see through this haze of hormones.

"That's not how you said it earlier." Lucas says, smirking. Again he pulls my mind back into the gutter.

Him over me, thrusting slowly. Dragging himself almost completely out, then pushing back in. Pulling me slowly to the edge that only he can take me.

"Instead of you having to live through the memory, we can recreate it." Lucas suggests. He finally hauls himself out of the bed and coming to sit next to me.

He has got pants on, but they do nothing to stop his arousal from showing. I glance down, and can practically hear his smirk as I kneel in front of him and tug his pants down.

He pops out as soon as the pants are past the tent he's created. I run my hand up and down his shaft, spreading the pre-cum around a bit. Then I take him into my mouth, lightly scraping my teeth along him.

"Seven cities." Lucas hisses, watching me. I move my eyes to his, and hold the contact as I use my teeth again.

He groans, and the sound fuels me to bob my head faster. His eyelids flutter as he fights the urge to finish right then. I keep pushing, waiting for his hands to fist in my hair.

Then he breaks. Lucas falls over the edge, hands in my hair and eyes shut.

"Hormones settled?" I ask, standing and wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. I grin at him, and he shakily grins back, pulling his pants up.

"Enough for a nap." He pulls me down to the bed. A drapes an arm over me and we both drift into sleep.

***

The air is filled with screams. You can practically smell the fear radiating from everyone. Our home has been discovered. Parents yell for children, their calls being swallowed by the forest. The forest is our home, yet it stopped protecting us. I shake myself from my trance and start gathering all the children.

Jack sees and starts helping, waving parents over to the small group gathering. Some are reunited with their own kids, and others start comforting the screaming ones. Iva runs over to me.

"Where are we going to take them?" Iva asks. I think back through all our old hideouts, trying to find one big enough to hold most of the village. One pops into my mind.

"A series of caves north of here. Follow the old star." I say. The old star is our code for the river.

"Jack," I kiss Jack on the cheek, and he kisses my lips quick and soft. "Make sure the children make it. Iva knows where to go."

I run toward the bunker, grabbing a spear from some confused adult. He starts running once Jack sends the signal to leave echoing through the trees.

My childhood home is burning. I see it as I run past, into the bunker entrance. Hidden in the roots of a tree, marked by a patch of daisies.

I grab the spare lantern and light it with my matches. Cobwebs line the walls, hiding the supplies. Food, canteens and wood. I reach and feel along the dirt wall until I hit a crevice. Inside is a backpack, built for vampires hiking the woods and hunting us.

It comes free from the wall in a cloud of dust, spiders crawling from it. I couch, pushing my elbow into my face in case vampires are still around. The spear clatters to the floor, and I shove canteens, dried fruits and meat into the pack.

***

I wake with Lucas's arm holding me to his chest, the memory of the day we had to leave everything behind still fresh in my mind.

I glance at the clock, and see we have an hour until Celeste and Alaric return to take us to the cottage.

"Lucas, we have to get the apartment ready." I say, turning around to face him. He doesn't stir, so I run my tongue over his collarbone.

"How long until we're safe?" Lucas asks. His voice is groggy, and eyelids are barely staying open.

"Just under an hour." I reply, getting up and taking the blankets with me.

"That's not fair." Lucas says, grabbing a random shirt from the floor. He pulls it on, and sniffs it.

"Life's not fair." I joke, folding the blankets neatly. I pass them to Lucas, who leaves them on the end of the bed.

"And don't we know it." Lucas grabs my arm and pulls me to him. He places a kiss on my forehead and lets me go.

***

Kaira is coming to stay for the first week. She has to finish the dresses, and Alaric would like to oversee that.

"Excited?" I ask her. Her eyes twinkle, and I know why she's so happy at joining us.

"I get to meet Lucas. Of course, I'm excited." She says, still somehow sewing her neat little stitches.

Alaric snorts as he walks past, holding an armful of clothes. He seems quite happy with moving away from the city and his family.

In the forest, family was everything. If you turned your back on them, then you turned your back on our life.

"Anyway, I get a week without my master breathing down my neck. He sets unreasonable deadlines and then gets mad when I become swamped with work." Kaira says, shrugging.

"That's a pretty good reason to be happy." I say, thanking the heavens that Celeste insisted on getting me pregnant. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain Alaric would have killed me by now.

~*~*~

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for reading! If you're enjoying the story, light that star up!