Chapter F|I|V|E

Kissing isn't like what I thought it would be. There's passion in it, but it's not the sparks flying you expect. Maybe there was no emotion between us, or not enough for the firework kisses my parents told stories about.

"That was my first too." Lucas admits. I can see he feels a little down and embarrassed, so I try to cheer him up.

"Couldn't tell. Not that I've had much experience." I smile and he smiles back. He pulls me into his arms, and I lean against him.

"Tell me about living free."

***

I dart through trees, Iva by my side. Together we run. Bow slung across my back, arrows in hand. Soon we come across a stag, doe and fawn. The stag lifts his head and bellows. He is young, and we are hunting for a wild cow. It's likely he will be taken by the next vampire hunt. But for now, he lives.

Eventually we stumble upon a wild cow herd. Heads together and talking, Iva and I pick one out. I raise my bow and draw an arrow. Steadying my hands, I fire. I hit the cow, and it falls to the ground, dead. The rest of the cows run when their companion falls. I walk forward and say thanks to the animal for its meat. Standing, Iva raises her horn and calls for the boys to pick up the animal. The horn sounds like a stag below, just slightly different. Vampires don't know the difference. Then a scream echoes through the woods.

***

When I wake, it's morning and Lucas has gone. Alaric is sitting at the desk, and my breakfast has arrived. Today it is eggs and beans. Good blood cell raising food. After I eat, I get changed then sit down in my cage, waiting for any instructions. Kaira isn't coming today, so I doubt there will be much to do.

"Pet, come draw this," It's a plan for an extravagant food storage. 3 layers and a few hundred square meters. I wonder what in Vavir they need this for. When I finish the picture, I give it to Alaric, and he puts it in a file. On the file is written, Anastia.

"Alright, Pet, we're going to visit Lucas and Celeste. It'll be the last time before you have the first try at becoming with child." Alaric stands and to my surprise, he doesn't reach for the lead.

***

Celeste and Alaric leave us to our thoughts in the cage. Lucas has a similar one to mine, except his is bigger.

"Just us now," I say to break the awkward silence. It works. Lucas kisses me. No warning or anything.

I slowly kiss Lucas back once I've recovered from the shock. His tongue gently flicks my lips, asking for access. I grant him that, and our tongues swirl together in a sort of dance. We break apart, and Lucas studies my face.

"You're so beautiful," he says, and I blush. Everyone always tells me that I am, but I never believe it. All the kids used to tease me for having long hair while living in the woods.

"Thanks." I shyly whisper, looking down. Lucas slips a finger under my chin and lifts my head up.

His gaze catches mine. "Don't ever be ashamed about that. Promise me"

"I promise." I reply, and Lucas kisses me again.

***

"How was your visit to Lucas?" Kaira asks me. She's still sewing the same stitches. This time they aren't as invisible, but I don't think they're meant to be.

"It was good," I reply, trying to copy the way her needle slides neatly through the fabric. My needle catches and I frown.

"What did you guys do?" Kaira asks. "Although I may not want to know."

I smile, knowing she's joking around. I've talked to her about it when Alaric hasn't been here, and she's just as nervous as me. "We kissed, mostly."

Kaira squeals in excitement. "Did you enjoy it?"

Worriedly, I glance to see Alaric's reaction, but nothing. Whatever the hell Anastia is, he's focused. "Yes."

***

I walk through the gardens, trailing after Alaric. We're in the public gardens, so vampires are out with their pets, some chained, all look thin and pale. Their eyes are sunken and bags are beneath them. Only then do I realize how well I'm treated. My clothes don't hang off me, I get a good sleep.

All the pets and vampires stare. I'm wearing a collar that doesn't damage the delicate skin on my neck. There is only one feeding scar on my neck, and it's barely visible, hidden by my clothes. This isn't the way vampires expected their Crown Prince to treat his pet. I'm breaking many barriers by just still being alive.