Chapter T|E|N

Burning, dancing, falling.

Singing, dreaming, flying.

Time has no meaning;

Yet all it is, an explanation for the unexplainable.

***

I wake, plagued by yet another nightmare. Being back in the woods has brought back the horrible memories. Dancing, making eye contact with Jack. Sending him the signal to go to our spot. Him leaving. Me waiting just an extra minute longer to follow.

Finding his body, strung up from our tree. His blood smeared over the heart carved into the base of the tree. Fang marks in his neck, yet he wasn't drained dry. The screams of his mother and the glares from my parents. The nagging feeling that it was my fault.

That feeling still tears at my heart. Whenever I look out a window and see a tree, I see red dripping from the branches. I feel guilt for falling for someone else after causing my first love to die.

The room feels too small. Too small for the feeling of losing all the people I've loved. All the dead bodies I've stumbled across while hunting. The guilt of living, when others died.

I know that I won't fall asleep now. Not with thoughts of Jack and my family plaguing me. I stand by the window, keeping the curtains closed, and imagine Iva standing beside me. My best friend, killed right in front of me. I picture her, as she was when it was her, Jack and me against the world.

"What do I do?" I whisper. Of course, she doesn't reply.

***

"What's the plan?" I ask, taking a seat at the counter.

"That's for me to know and you to find out," Lucas slides a plate in front of me. Buttered toast.

"Please," I say. "You wouldn't survive seeing me angry, and hungry."

Lucas holds his hand up in mock surrender. Slowly, he walks around to my side of the counter and sits next to me.

"Fine. We are going on to the city for your check-up. Celeste is concerned for your getting pregnant. We have to wear these, though." Lucas holds up what looks like a fancy metal choker.

"A tracking collar." I say, taking the one he offers me. A small red light blinks from a panel of other not blinking lights.

"Yeah, the best that Alaric could get his hands on." Lucas says, latching his around his neck. It's clear that he has had to wear these before and is comfortable in it.

Kaira walks in and grabs a piece of toast. She eats it over the sink, making sure no crumbs fall onto the counter.

"Have fun dealing with aggressive vampire doctors, you two. I'll hold down the fort here, and finish those dresses." She says, brushing her hands off.

***

Lucas and I make our way down the medical street, passing by witch doctor stands, actual witch medical practices and the occasional human surgery. The witch doctors yell about their potions and salves.

"Hey you! Humans! You look like you could use a hand getting those collars off." A shifter in a leather jacket starts walking over to use. He's clearly a wolf or big cat shifter, judging by the size of him.

"We're fine, thanks. Some guy already tried, and he got electrocuted." Lucas yells, and the shifter starts backing off.

I pull the collar of my jacket up, trying to cover the metal band around my neck. Now that the shifter pointed it out, everyone is staring at the pet humans. Some of the bite marks on Lucas's arms make it obvious how long he has survived in that position.

"Here we are, after you." Lucas holds the door for me, and we slip into the practice.

A man with a white beard is sitting in the doctor's waiting room. He resembles the warlock that sold the DNA tests. I look closer and it is the warlock. Strange, because this is a human only medical practice. Maybe they were short-staffed and he was looking for some cash.

"Grace and Lucas?" A human doctor calls for us almost as soon as we sit down. We stand again and follow the woman into her room.

"Hello, I am Doctor Liza. Your files say you are here for a pregnancy check?" She says, reading a sheet of paper.

"That's right." I say, trying to sound confident.

"Okay, can you please take this test quickly? This will check if you are already pregnant." Doctor Liza hands me a test. I know how to use these, but I check the instructions anyway.

Once I close the bathroom door, something goes over my face. I try to kick the person away and rip whatever's on my face away, but it doesn't work.

The smell invades my nostrils, then my lungs. My brain tells me to cough, but my mind drifts blank before I get the chance.

***

***

Rest in peace Gogo, you are dearly missed.

And for those that are wondering, here is some pronunciation.
La Ngaysaufayette
La- Nga-sa-fay-ette

Kaira
Kai-ra ( like Keira but with a A)

Venmonte
Ven-monte