Chapter E|I|G|H|T

I can't believe what is clearly right in front of me. Written in bold letters, all capitals. My DNA results do not say human, nor do they say shifter or any other normal thing. They say I'm not even supposed to be alive.

"How is she one of them? My father is going to kill her if he hears about her." Alaric is pacing around the suite, running his hands through his hair.

"Then don't tell him." Celeste suggests. Alaric stops pacing to stare at her.

"What are you suggesting? That I should commit treason?" He asks. "Break an age-old decree, made by my own ancestors. One of which is still kicking."

"What other options do you have?" Celeste says. "What they don't know couldn't possibly hurt them. You'll be king soon anyway, you can get rid of the decree."

I hate to think about it, but she makes some sense. I don't think Alaric quite wants to break Celeste's heart by killing me, or tell his father about me.

"We have to leave Venmonte. Which city will be the best to head to?" He asks her, resuming his pacing.

"None. I have a lovely little cottage in between here and La Ngaysaufayette that we could stay at." Celeste suggests, putting her hand on Alaric's arm. He stops pacing to stare at the contact.

Everyone in Vavir knows the story of the Seven Cities Massacre. Hope Blayze, once the lover of the Blood King, then the wife to his brother. They say the Blood King went mad when he saw her pregnant with his brother's child and killed everyone she loved. Then other, smaller kings that ruled below him followed his lead and executed all the Blayze they could find.

***

"What do we have here?" A man dressed in clothes the color of the forest walks up to my cage.

"Poor little child," a woman stands behind him. "Can we keep her?"

"Of course, she will be a great companion to your friend's children." The man grabs a piece of wire off the ground and inserts it into the lock. After twisting it around the lock, clocks and the man opens the door.

"Here little one." he passes me to the woman who studies the necklace.

"Her name is Grace, according to this."

The couple walks away, leaving the abandoned cage. They don't notice the two birds watching them, one with yellow eyes, the other green. The birds fly away, leaving a trail of sparks.

***

The Blood Moon is tonight. Once it's over, we leave Venmonte for Celeste's cottage. Alaric and her are going to tell people Alaric needs some time away for his work. Celeste wants me to be carrying a baby before we leave, so I'm spending the Blood Moon with Lucas, in Celeste's suite. For forty-eight hours. The vampires are going to spend that time hunting, drinking and organizing our move.

What better time to leave than when everyone is either locking their doors or hunting anything that breathes?

I'm being escorted to the suite now. Alaric and Celeste are preparing for the moon to rise within the next two hours. All the privately owned human slaves are being locked away. Some owners keep the keys to their door, so they can feed from their pets. Others, like Celeste, lock the keys inside with their pet so that no one can get in.

We arrive at the suite, and my escort pushes me inside, locks the door and slides the key under.

"Hey, you." Lucas puts his arms around me almost as soon as I stand after getting the key.

"Hey yourself." I turn around to face him and loop my arms around his neck. He smiles at me, and kisses my forehead.

"Did you get the DNA results back?" He asks, taking the key and hanging it from a hook on the wall.

"You might want to sit down if you're going to ask about that." I say, leading Lucas to the couch in his cage. We're under strict instructions to not touch Celeste's room, or the kitchen. There is a sink in the bathroom, and some canned goods in here for us.

"Oh shit. You aren't a human?" Lucas pulls me down next to him. "What are you, then?"

"You aren't going to believe it. Promise you won't laugh, and you'll take my word for it." I look at Lucas, hoping he sees how serious I am.

"I promise." He says, grabbing my hands in his.

"A Blayze. As in the species hunted to extinction under the Blood King." I say, hoping he trusts me enough to know I'm telling the truth.

"I know what Blayze are," Lucas says softly. "Are you sure?"

I know he's asking more to convince himself, for I asked myself the same thing after seeing the test.

"The tests don't lie," I say, using the same soft tone as Lucas. "I'm not human."

"So that's why we're going to the cottage." Lucas says, wheels in his head turning. He's starting to put two and two together. Hopefully he gets the right answer.

"Yeah. Celeste wants a baby in this belly before we leave first." I say, looking at the space between us. I hope he notices that I'm trying to change the topic. Talking about the impending future isn't my favorite topic.

Lucas looks up, eyes still distracted. They clear after a moment. "Well, I would hate to disappoint her."

He pulls one of my legs, so I'm straddling him. His mouth finds my neck, his hands slip under my shirt, and the world is slowly starting to right itself.

My hands find his shirt, and lift it up. His mouth leaves my neck for the amount of time it takes to get the shirt over his head. Then he's back, swirling his tongue and sucking on the sensitive parts of my skin.

I run my hands over his muscles, feeling them flex beneath my hands. He pulls at my shirt, and I move away to take it off. I'm not wearing anything underneath, and his eyes move over me like a predator. I can feel him hardening underneath me, slowly pushing into my core, separated only by our pants.

We kiss, and his hands run over my breasts. They find my slowly hardening nipples and gently pinch them. I gasp, feeling pleasure course through my body. It gives Lucas an idea.

"You want to try something new?" Lucas asks, panting slightly, his voice husky.

I nod, words unable to form while his hands and mouth are on me.

"Lie down on the couch."