episode 04 - play hard, work hard

Three months until the Grand Magic Games

On the first day of the guild’s training camp, [Name] spends it as a babysitter. 

Alzack and Bisca wanted to train together somewhere remote, where they wouldn’t accidentally hurt someone while strengthening their magic—take for example, a little girl named Asuka who just can’t stay still for one second. The two parents didn’t want to risk any of their bullets straying and hitting their precious daughter. So naturally, [Name] offered to look after the girl while they spent some time together. 

It’s not like [Name] isn’t going through any training. Watching Asuka feels like a direct challenge to her patience and eyesight. [Name] blinked once and Asuka was nowhere to be found. She has to scour the entirety of the beach to look for one tiny girl—until she finds Asuka trying to bury Happy in the sand. 

“Aren’t you supposed to be training?” Romeo asks when [Name] flops beside him. He halts in his sandcastle building to point at the dragon’s roar bursting from the ocean. [Name] follows his gaze, watching in awe as Natsu’s blazing flames shoot straight up to the sky. 

“Do I look like a Salamander to you?” [Name] huffs. In the corner of her eye, she sees Asuka running towards them. It’s not long before Asuka topples over Romeo’s sandcastle. [Name] hands the little girl a biscuit from her bag when Asuka settles on her lap, uncaring of Romeo’s indignant cries. 

[Name] notices Erza’s form by the cliff from afar. She moves gracefully, her swords catching the sun’s light as they dance along with her. The waves of the ocean crash against the cliff, eager to play a part in her song. In her element, Erza is breathtaking. Suddenly, [Name] feels a strong urge to go train.

“Yo, [Name]!” Jet greets them as he and Droy take the empty space on the sand alongside them. “Gajeel is looking for you, by the way. Something about sparring.”

“On a scale of one to ten, how possible do you think it is for me to run away from him?” [Name] asks half-heartedly, curling her fingers into the sand. She glances at the pair, unaware of the footsteps behind her. 

Zero,” Mirajane abruptly whispers into her ear, earning a startled shriek from [Name]. The white-haired wizard helps [Name] to her feet with a giggle. “Come on, [Name]-chan. Laxus is calling for us. Team bonding, he says.”

“Team bonding, my butt,” [Name] grumbles, dusting the sand off her dress. He probably just wanted to get her back for all the teasing yesterday. There’s no chance of surviving this one, she fears. 

Droy’s head tilts in confusion. “Team? Since when did Laxus form a team with you two?”

“Oh, you know.” [Name]’s gaze drifts to Evergreen and Freed, who happen to conveniently pass by them at that moment. “Since Laxus said he liked me more than the Thunder Legion.”

Evergreen is by her side in an instant, glasses shimmering. “Oh? Would you care to repeat that, [Name]?”

Abort mission! [Name] would like to spend her day at the beach, not turned to stone, thank you very much. With a nervous laugh, [Name] slithers away from Evergreen’s grip, grabs Mirajane’s hand, and tugs her away. “Bye, Ever! Love ya! Jet! Watch over the kids!”

“Aye!” Jet calls out, face red with amusement. “They’re safe with me!”

After waving Romeo and Asuka goodbye, [Name] turns to Mirajane, allowing her to take the lead. “So where are we going?”

Mirajane smiles and begins to lead her away from the beach. “Gajeel found a nice spot for us to train. The others are on their way there now. Laxus thought it would be nice if we could all train together as a team. Honestly, I’m really looking forward to it. Spending time with you guys is fun. And it would be nice to let my demon forms out before the Games start.”