episode 05 - calm before the storm

Two months before the Grand Magic Games

After narrowly avoiding a disaster with the guild regarding [Name]’s fake pregnancy—Romeo had to hold Bisca back from committing murder while [Name] explained the whole thing, which, of course, did not calm Bisca down and instead she began hunting Creed down to give him a piece of her mind—[Name] heads down to another area which Gajeel found for a perfect team bonding session. It’s somewhere surrounded by tall trees, enveloped by the wind’s soft lullabies, and where critters ran amok. [Name] thinks it’s exquisite. 

The stone path ends where the forest ground begins. [Name] happily removes her sandals, excited to feel the earth without any restrictions. She’s far past the bounds of the resort, now wandering into areas that have been left alone for a more naturalistic feel. After all, nobody would like a trip to the ocean and not see a touch of breathtaking greens. 

[Name] comes across a clearing, where the other members of Team B have already gathered and began their training by themselves. She spots Laki’s wooden doll by the side, one of its fake eyes hanging out of its socket; Mirajane had been a little too vicious with her demon claws the other day. [Name] also notices multiple targets hanging from tree branches. She wonders if they’re honing their long-ranged attacks today. 

Laxus approaches her a couple of seconds later, handing her a wooden bow. “Here. Your practice buddy for today.”

[Name] frowns in confusion as she accepts the bow, sliding her fingers along its slender curves. She supposes the stringed targets must be for her, then. The insides of her belly do a flip—Laxus set all of this up for her? “Not that I don’t appreciate it. But why a bow?”

“You can make your own weapons, right?” Laxus is referring to her fight with Gajeel, where [Name] summoned a sword made of bloodwood. It’s a little trick that Laki taught her a few years ago. Although, [Name] has to say, she hasn’t tried to conjure up a bow before. When [Name] nods, Laxus continues, “Practice with a bow. Today, we’ll start with your stance and maybe shoot a few.”

[Name] doesn’t object, choosing to quietly follow Laxus deeper into the forest glade. With a bow, a whole new world of possibilities opens before her. Bloodwood is lethal, if used to cut skin, the victim would suffer from nausea and intense thirst. [Name] has an array of spores she could make—attach an explosive kind to the tip of the arrow, and watch it go boom. 

That is, if she actually hits the target. 

She’s never handled a bow before, only having practiced the way of the sword—even then, she didn’t have that much of a need to use her sword the past few years. She’s decent with it, but perhaps Erza would be kind enough to help her actually master it. 

Anxiety pools at the bottom of her stomach; her breakfast from this morning threatening to escape. Suddenly, she feels self-conscious, fumbling awkwardly in front of the Laxus Dreyar—the Dragon Slayer who could win the fight just by glaring at his opponent. Laxus stands to the side, blinking, unaware of [Name]’s inner turmoil. 

Out of sheer stubbornness, [Name] refuses to ask for help—partly hesitant to look incompetent in front of him. She assumes a stance that she thinks is the basic pose for archery. 

“Your feet,” Laxus points out. “They shouldn’t be that close to each other.”

[Name] inhales sharply, and then wriggles her bare feet just a few ways apart. She’s grateful the bow isn’t too heavy to wield. Clumsily, she pulls the string back, as though there was an arrow locked in.

“You’re too stiff. Relax. Don’t slouch.” Suddenly, Laxus is right behind her, callous hands on her waist; all she can focus on is the warmth of his chest. [Name] abruptly forgets how to breathe. Laxus smooths over the arch of her shoulder blades.