episode 12 - visiting hours are over

“She’s awake!” 

“Not for long if you keep yelling in my ear,” [Name] grumbles, rolling over onto her side.

She’s got a splitting ache in her head, and a throat that’s scratchy and sore. The cacophony of voices around her isn’t helping either. She keeps her eyes sealed shut, hands clutching her unsettled stomach, silently praying she wouldn’t barf up yesterday’s breakfast. It’s been way too long since she used her magic to its fullest. 

“Hey, pretty girl, there you go.” Gajeel’s low baritone rumbles in her ear—she can’t decide on whether she wants to punch him for talking or let him lull her back to sleep. He lays a hand on her back, gently guiding her to sit upright. Moments later, she feels something cool press against her lips. “Drink up. You’ve been out for a while.” 

Like the stubborn girl she is, [Name] lets her head fall back onto the pillow. 

“Five minutes.” She weakly swats him away. 

She feels him roll his eyes. 

The next thing [Name] knows, Cana Alberona is pressing her weight down on the edge of the bed. The scent of rosemary and apples fill her nose, but all [Name] can think about is: don’t vomit, don’t vomit, don’t vomit. Her stomach lurches as the nausea begins to gnaw at her vision. 

“There she is!” Cana exclaims right into her face. She squeezes [Name] into a tight hug as she throws a long leg over her limp body. “How does my darling queen feel?” 

“Like I died and went to hell,” [Name] croaks in reply, wriggling out of Cana’s hold, exhausting the last of her energy. 

Miraculously, Cana takes the hint, and as gracefully as she can, hastily gets on her feet to hover by [Name]’s side instead. “Poor baby. Luckily for you, Porlyusica stopped by and dropped off some of your healing concoctions.” 

“More like threw it at us,” Gray retorts, sounding far away.

The mere thought of even taking her antitoxin has [Name] twitching in disgust. Finally, she opens one eye and snarls at Cana, hoping that she looks a tiny bit intimidating despite her pale lips and sunken cheeks. 

“I would. . . rather join. . . Sabertooth,” She growls through her coughing fit—not quite the threat she wants to be, but it would have to suffice. 

Suddenly, she feels it

The presence of a much more frightening creature; a merciless and cruel being that feeds upon the misery of her enemies. 

Titania

Erza Scarlet rests her hand atop [Name]’s clavicle, a daunting grin on her unfairly angelic face. She lowers her voice as she commands, “Drink. Or we will do this the hard way.” 

On the bed to her left, Elfman pulls the curtain back. [Name] almost gasps at the number of bandages wrapped around his head and abdomen. He sends her a pitiful gaze, jaw clenching as he hangs his head in defeat. “You will not win this war, [Name]. Not this one. I know this very well. Now, be a real man and take your antidote!” 

[Name] turns to glare at Erza, the traitor and her not-friend at the moment. “Bite me.” 

Panther Lily watches the chaotic scene as both Cana and Erza wrestle [Name] and get her to drink the potion. He doesn’t blame her, though, just a whiff of the horrid-smelling concoction could bring a grown man to his knees, a fairy would be no exception. Lily turns to Happy, “Has it always been like this?”

“Yup!” Happy drools all over his half-eaten salmon. “She gets extra cranky after a fight. One time, they destroyed the entire guild hall! Guess there are some things that don’t change even after seven years!”