eleven

Those few moments of just being with Arthur's presence had felt joyful for you. Taking a ride to Valentine, Arthur paying for your things at the general store, and smoking your cigarettes together. The most important part for you was when Arthur handed you the photograph of your mother, Black Belle, which he took himself. You thought that it was an honour, that Arthur and your mother had encountered each other at some point. 

Arthur had been gazing at you for quite some time now, smiling fondly at you as you admired the photograph that he took of your mother. He was unsure why, but he felt differently about you despite the short amount of time of getting to know you. 

It sounded bad, but the incident that happened with Micah seemed liked it came in perfectly. The outlaw had taken the opportunity to be alone with you as subtly as he can but taking you out with his mundane tasks. He really wasn't the best at showing any sort of affection, especially to you. His fondness for you had somehow grew to admiration, and he felt it would grow far more beyond that. 

Unaware, Arthur hadn't realized how long he was gazing at you as you had finally caught his blue steely eyes. Like a natural reflex, Arthur darted his head towards the opposite direction of you, clearing his throat in the process. 

"Is there something on my face?" You asked anxiously, rubbing your cheeks to feel if there was anything. "Or am I staring at my ma's picture for too long?"

"N-no... There ain't anything at all." He didn't want to admit it, but he just couldn't keep his eyes off of you. 

But before you could even say anything back, an all too familiar voice of from a woman had called out Arthur's name. 

"Oh, Arthur!" The refined-looking woman called out somehow desperately. She looked as if she came from an elite and wealthy family. Her elaborate emerald green dress clung onto her perfectly, with her brown hair partially up while the rest fell like curtains made of silk onto her slim shoulders. Jewels adorned her already sophisticated self, her cheeks flushed with a rosy colour from her blush as it complimented her coffee-shaded lipstick. It definitely made her stick out like a sore thumb in small town like Valentine where she would fit more into a large city. 

You glanced at Arthur and back at the woman, they didn't seem to be strangers to each other. In fact, it seemed that they've known each other and had a hidden past, considering the way the woman looked at him all doe eyed. Arthur on the other hand, had looked flabbergasted. His jaw dropped for awhile before he could even utter a word. 

"Hello, Mary." His southern tones were the most angelic here. It sounded like a mixture of surprise and gentleness. "H-how are you?"

"Oh, Arthur." She repeated, but with a little more calmness this time. She quickly glanced at you, but averted her gaze back at the now perplexed cowboy. Your presence seemed to not have been acknowledged by her highness. You spat onto the ground, a foreign feeling suddenly taking over your very being.

So Mary was her name. Who was she anyway?

"Not too well I suppose." She continued, her tone of voice sounding more dramatic by the second. "I need your help, Arthur... It's about Jamie."

"Jamie? What ever would young Jamie do??" Arthur asked in surprise.

"He's joined a religious cult group, the chelonians. I haven't been able to get to him in months. I just want him back home, it's going to break daddy's heart!" 

"Daddy has a heart?!" Arthur had almost practically growled at the mention of her father. "I can't marry into your family but you can go ahead and ask me for help?!"

"Please Arthur! I am begging you. I understand if you don't want to help but... But I think of you often!" She continued to plead, attempting to convince the outlaw.