Chapter 04: The Haunted Past

[Reader discretion is advised.]

True to his words, Tay showed up at New's work the next day.

And the day after that.

And for a whole month, Tay did just that.

Right now, he's drinking beer at the bar while he watches New serve a table of two customers.

When New's done, he goes to the counter and faces Tay.

"Enjoying the cheap beer much?" New asks as he slumps on the counter across from Tay.

"Yup," Tay answers then takes another sip from his bottle of beer.

New furrows his eyebrows and looks at him incredulously, "You're really weird, Tay Tawan. You own a hotel for fuck's sake! You've got the best bar in this town. Why settle here?"

"Because you're here," Tay responds with a sweet smile while New just rolls his eyes.

"You don't have to come here every day, you know."

"Well, I miss you every day," Tay whines.

New shakes his head and chuckles.

"Seriously, Hin—"

"—oh, you're really going to push that nickname, huh?"

"—I don't understand why you won't let me buy you a phone!"

New chuckles and ruffles Tay's hair. Tay pulls back and scowls, looking at New while he fixes his hair again.

"I can't have a phone. People with phones get easily found," New shrugs and looks at the beach through the door, avoiding Tay's eyes.

Tay pouts for a few seconds before his expression morphs into a sad one, mirroring that of New's. Although New already lets him in, the man is still not allowing him to know about his past. Whenever Tay asks questions about it, he just swiftly changes the topic.

Tay looks at his wristwatch and sees that it's almost three am. He looks at New and calls his attention.

"Hey."

"Hmm?" New looks at him.

"Wanna watch the sunrise with me later?"

"Don't you need to rest?"

"I'm with my rest right now."

New rolls his eyes, "I meant to sleep, Tawan."

Tay smiles at him, "I don't sleep that well anyway. I always get nightmares. Well, until I started spending my nights with you. Come on!" Tay coaxes him, "Please?" He smiles with all teeth showing that New laughs.

New stares at him for a few seconds before he cocks his head up, "Okay."

---

It's kind of cold and New's only wearing a shirt and jeans so Tay removes his suit jacket and covers New with it.

"Oh, I'm okay."

"Just take it. I drank two bottles. I feel hot like I always am," Tay looks him in the eyes and winks at him.

"Can a day pass by where you don't flirt with me?"

"No can do. You're too handsome to be treated normally."

New laughs as Tay only watches him, his ears enjoying the soothing sound of New's laughter.