Chapter 09: Sometimes, fate chooses us. Sometimes, we choose our fate.

[Reader discretion is advised.]

Off goes to visit Tay in the hospital at around seven in the evening. It's been a week since New's death and tomorrow, Tay gets to be discharged.

When he goes to Tay's room, he knocks twice but receives no reply. He slowly opens and the door and sees the bed empty. He scans the big V.I.P. room until he sees Tay by the window, sitting at the window sill pad. hugging his knees to his chest and staring out the dark blue skies.

It's been raining in Pattaya for a week now, as if the heavens have joined Tay in grieving.

Off makes his way inside. He puts the fruit basket at the table beside the bed and joins Tay. He sits beside him, facing the room. They stay quiet for a little while until Tay breaks the silence.

"Hin liked cuddling in this kind of weather. I bet he'd allow me not to go to work for days with the weather like this." Tay says quietly and smiles.

"Stop using New as an excuse. It sounds like you're the one who likes it more," Off retorts and Tay chuckles.

"Yeah. I'm the one who likes it more." They stay quiet again until Off hears Tay's sobs.

"So, why didn't I stop him from getting up that morning?" Tay brings his right hand up and wipes the tears that won't stop falling, "Why did I let him go all alone to the hospital? If only I knew... If only I knew that—that would be the last time I'd hold him, I should've held him longer. I should've kissed him more. I should've told him I love him over and over and over. He had dreams, Off. He was just getting better. He was just about to chase his dreams. He still had a lot of places he wanted to visit. He was just about to enter school for the first time. He didn't have to... why did he... why was he the one who died and not me?" Tay sobs harder as he grips his chest, "That could've been me. It should've been me."
Off looks up at the ceiling, blinking away the tears that had formed in his eyes.

"He was pregnant, too~" Tay whines as he cries, remembering what the doctor told him the night of New's death. "My family, Off. My family was taken away from me. Why?! Why?!"

Off stands up and hugs Tay, letting him cry on his abdomen. He rubs his back as he tries to comfort him.

"I failed New. I failed my husband," Tay cries to Off.

"New loved you, Tay. And you're the only person who made him feel loved. He told me that himself. When he went there, he was willing to lay down everything for you. And he did. If there's one thing I can tell you now, it's that New died in peace. He died happy because you made him happy. You gave him infinite happiness in the times you've been together. So, no. You didn't fail him, Tay. You didn't fail your husband at all. And if you don't believe me," Off pulls back and takes something from his pocket. It's a small mp3 device with earphones attached to it and he gives it to Tay, "Here. Listen to this. It's from New."

Tay's head shoots up and looks at Off surprised.

"He recorded that on my phone on that night. I just transferred the file there so you can listen to it whenever you want. I didn't hear any of it, don't worry. I know New wants you to be the only one who hears it."

Tay stops his sobs as he looks at the mp3 player. He thought he'd never hear New's voice ever again, but New, once again, didn't fail him. He looks up at Off and smiles through his snot.