chapter 9: a grand finale

(music for the fight)

chara readied their knife and then charged at y/n. y/n countered them by using his sword to block the incoming attack.

chara: looks like you picked up a few things while you were trapped and crying like a baby.

y/n: says the child.

chara went in for another slash and y/n dodged but he got nicked on the side of his torso. y/n went back a bit and then kicked chara away from him. the kick sent them back a few feet away.

Y/n: "they've got a lot of LOVE but they're still just a little kid. I've got the advantage of being older and taller."

Y/n dashed to Chara and brought down his sword on them. they got their shoulder cut as they attempted to dodge the sword.

Chara: "Damn...I'll die if this keeps up..."

Chara got up and lunged at y/n. they managed to get a hold of him and planted their knife deep in his shoulder. Y/n punched them off of him and pulled the knife out of his shoulder.

Y/n: ugh...I need to be more careful...

Y/n's shoulder was in pain. He had to end this fast.

Chara: hahaha! You've got the power but you're lacking the experience! That's why you can't hope to win this!

Y/n: I wouldn't celebrate just yet.

Y/n charged in with his sword and started to swing it. Chara made themselves another knife to block the strikes. Y/n was able to cut Chara up pretty nicely, however. Finally, he found an opportunity and kicked Chara's knife out of their hand. He then kicked them once again before punching them in the gut.

Y/n: those hits were for sans and papyrus!

Y/n then grabbed Chara's hair and threw them.

Y/n: that was for toriel!

Y/n then went up to them and planted his foot on their back before they could get up.

Y/n: that's for undyne!

Y/n then picked Chara up and flicked their forehead.

Y/n: and that's for mettaton.

Y/n let go of Chara and let them fall to the ground.

Chara: d-damn it...I was so close...

Y/n: got no more shit talk in ya? Guess that means I win.

Chara: just go ahead and finish me off...you'll reset and live happily with everyone else...that's what you want isn't it?!

Y/n:...Chara, while I was chained up, I got to see into your mind and soul a bit. And I saw...loneliness and jealousy.

Chara: w-what? What are you talking about?!

Y/n: you were wishing it was you right? When you saw me and frisk making friends with all the monsters in the underground, you felt lonely. You thought that if you couldn't be happy with them, then no one could.

Chara:...

Y/n:...do you remember what you told me when we first met? You said that we both came down here for the same reason. You even said there was something in me that you could relate to. But when we came down here, we found a reason to keep on living. We both became happy from it all. So I guess...I'll let you off the hook for now.