ǟʟȶɛʀռǟȶɛ ɛռɖɨռɢ?

as you all know, in the original timeline y/n and chara shared souls and gaster restored the timeline to allow them both a happy ending...but what if that hadn't happened? what-if gaster had never talked to or helped y/n? what if y/n's urge to kill himself...had never gone away? what if the genocide timeline only made the desire stronger? this is what could have happened.

-----AT METTATON'S-----

sans and y/n sat down in the restaurant owned by Mettaton. they talked about the journey that y/n had been on and how it was nearly over. that's when sans decided to ask a question.

Sans: so, what do you plan to do after all this is over? Go back to the surface?

y/n:...yeah...yeah I'll go back to the surface. 

of course, he would. his attempt to die failed down here after all didn't it? and besides, he shouldn't die down here. not when the people down here who cared about him could potentially see his lifeless body...

Sans: you okay kid? you seem a little gloomy.

y/n looked up and gave sans a smile. he didn't want to give Sans any hints about what he was planning to do.

-----AT THE SURFACE-----

frisk had beat flowey. y/n, frisk, and all the monsters who had been present were now gazing at the surface for the first time in their lives. y/n looked on and felt...nothing. this changed nothing. he still felt like he should be dead. surviving the fall on MT Ebott was nothing more than a mistake. 

toriel: y/n? is something wrong? you look sad.

y/n:... it's nothing. 

y/n needed to act quickly. the more attached these people got to him, the more it would hurt them when he died. 

-----THE GENOCIDE-----

y/n was chained down in his own soul. he watched as chara slashed down every monster in their way. y/n had tried to kill himself before all of this happened but when chara saw what was happening, they had to intervene. chara got a hold of y/n's soul and restarted the timeline. now y/n looked on as this demon destroyed everyone and everything. 

how could he have let this happen? if he had killed himself earlier then none of this would be happening... it's all his fault. he should have died. in fact, maybe he was just a mistake in general. maybe he wasn't ever meant to be born...what else was he supposed to think at that moment? 

-----AT THE END-----

chara got ready to slash down flowey and finish this run once and for all...but that's when they was stopped by a voice in their head. 

y/n: chara...wait...I have an idea.

chara: huh? what are you talking about?

y/n: I've been here for a while and I know what you want now...you were jealous.

chara: jealous?!

y/n: of frisk and me. you saw us eat pies with toriel, joke with sans, and even play with papyrus. you wanted to be there so bad. it hurts you so much to see everyone be happy without you.

chara: I...

y/n: I can give you and flowey the chance to be happy with everyone.

chara: what?!

chara suddenly released y/n from his chains and he appeared beside them while sharing the same soul as them.

chara: how?! how could you possibly do that?!

y/n: like this.

y/n grabbed the soul that chara and he shared and split it in half. he gave one half to chara and the other to flowey. as soon as this happened, flowey changed back into Asriel. 

chara: a-AZZY!!

Asriel: CHARA!!

the two hugged each other before realizing something. 

chara: wait, if we're both sharing this soul then...

they both looked over to y/n...who was slowly fading away.

Chara: NO!! YOU CAN'T DIE!! 

y/n: it's what I've always wanted chara... it's the reason I jumped down here. I tried to be happy with everyone else but it just didn't work.

Chara: but you helped us!! surely you just have something worth living for!!

y/n slowly shook his head and smiled at chara.

y/n: restart the timeline again and be friends with everybody. you can repay me that way.

chara knelt down and started to cry. y/n knelt down with them and patted their head.

y/n: just don't die ok? I didn't have anything worth living for but you do. I wish I got to know you more...I'll see you again someday.

chara looked up when they didn't feel their head being patted anymore. y/n was gone. he hadn't left anything but his soul to remember him. chara sat there crying for a bit with Asriel before they both got up and chara summoned the restart button.

chara: c'mon azzy. we can't waste this chance he gave us.

chara held Asriel's hand before pressing the button.

(undertale's 7th anniversary was a few weeks ago so I decided to make this to celebrate it. that and because If I had the chance I would have rewritten the ending of "filled with DEPRESSION" to be more like this. I feel like I made depression as something that could easily be cured but it's not. I would know. so, I hope you all enjoyed this alternate ending! Goodbye!)