In the background

OK THIS DRAWING ISN'T RELATED TO DELTARUNE AT ALL BUT JUST LOOK AT HIM. I MADE HIM A FEW DAYS AGO AND HE'S SO FUCKING CUTE. Uhh anyways on with the story!

What can I say, He's a great guy to have around! I'm glad the two of us are getting closer. Unbeknownst to me, a ghost of a smile appears on my face.

YOUR POV

I finished the remains of my fries. Kris was still talking to those odd looking shop keepers. I realize they were now playing music, a remix of jingle bells to be exact. I look over at Noelle who's just blushing in embarrassment. Chuckling to myself, I start to get up since I see Kris walking over to me.

Finally standing up, trying not to let Spamton fall off of my shoulders, Kris hands me two bagels. Huh. I could go for something more filling than fries. "Thanks Kris." I smile at them. They just nod as a response.

Kris starts to walk away from the little make-shift shop, Noelle and I following behind them. "So.. how long do you think we'll be walking for?" I whisper to Noelle. "No idea.." She whispers back. Hm. What can I do to pass the time.... 

Nothing. Damn it. Why didn't I bring my phone to the librarby with m- wait. I did bring my phone to the librarby with me! How did I forget that... Mentally face palming, I fish my phone out of my pocket.

There are a few cracks in the screen, I'm assuming from the fall at the rollercoaster/bumper car thing. Turning it on, I see that the percentage is 32%. Damn. I should've charged my phone more.

Maybe I could call someone! Wait.. who would I even call? I don't have anyone's number aside from my mothers and fathers, and they live very far away from me. There really wouldn't be a point in doing that.

What else could I do... hmm... Oh! I can take photos with Spamton, for memories! Opening the camera app. I angle it to see Spamton. He's just resting his head on mine, sleeping like a baby. I could definitely tease him with a photo of this later on.

I grin mischievously, snapping a quick photo and putting my phone back in my pocket. Still following Kris, they lead us straight into a battle!?

*Werewires swung in!

Jesus, Kid must have guts to just rush into a fight like that. They look like those Werewire dudes from before. Wait. I just realized I'm also participating in this battle. Fuck.

Kris puts their shield up in defense, commanding Noelle and I to defend as well. Noelle summons an ice blockade in front of her. She uses magic?

Ralsei never told me about magic.. Maybe he didn't explain everything to me. Wait, what am I supposed to defend myself with? I cross one arm over the other, forming an X-shape. 

The enemies start attacking. Flows of sparks and electricity flow out of their fingertips. Kris dodges without fail, Noelle dodges gracefully, and I? Well, I got grazed by a spark. It soon started to burn intensely; I grab my upper arm where the burn is and let out a pained groan.

Noelle glances at me, a panicked expression written on her face. Kris soon commands Noelle to use a spell called Sleepmist. The enemies fall asleep instantly, fading into a mass of sparkles.

Thank god that's over. I hope Spamton's ok. Speaking of the little guy, I can feel him stirring awake. Ah man, I must've jostled around too much during that battl-

"Y/N!!" Are you okay???" Noelle rushes over to me, checking the damage done to my arm. I can feel the blood soaking into my sleeve, running down my arm. "Uh not really, is there any way for me to-" Noelle raises her hands towards me, casting a spell. "Nononono, I'll heal you! It'll be just one second..."

Those were the last words I heard before I passed out.

Ugh.. my head... where am I? What happened? I start to hear the voices of Noelle, Susie, and Ralsei. "What happened?" "Well I uhm I wanted to heal her because her arm.." "Noelle.. they.. they aren't a Lightner. Somehow,  y/n doesn't have a soul, just a regular heart. They can't handle healing from a Lightner, that's why they passed out. If y/n dies here, there's no checkpoint, no revival, they'll be gone. Forever..."

What...? Checkpoint? Revival? What is this, a videogame? God, I must be delusional. I'm just hearing things... right? Not a Lightner... not.. a- I'm so confused. I mean, I already know if I die, I die for good.

What makes me so different from them? "So, y/n's a... background character?" I hear Susie stifle a laugh. "Susie, that's rude..." Ralsei poorly interjects. I'm... nothing but a background character to them? are you fucking KIDDING ME!?

ALL THIS TIME, I WANTED TO FIND THEM, HELP THEM FIND NOELLE, AND GET OUT OF HERE. I DON'T KNOW WHY I THOUGHT THEY EVER CARED ABOUT ME. If I didn't find them... would they have left me here..?

I... the more I think about it, the more it hurts. Why... why did I think I wasn't a burden to these heroes? They're trying to save the world, and I'm just here, weighing them down. I don't have the right to be mad at them.

Susie's right. I am just a background character, aren't I? Looking up at the ceiling, I feel hot tears rolling down my cheeks. My quiet sobs fill the room.

"oh [heavens] y/n...? are you [looking for hot deals] doing alright?" I hear from right behind me. Wait, behind me? Reaching up and patting my head, instead of feeling my hair, I feel Spamton's jacket. He's been curled up behind my head this whole time? Great.

"H-heh, I'm surprised you can talk in a hushed t-tone.." I manage to say in between sniffles. "No, I'm not doing alright." Feeling Spamton scurry over to be in front of me, I sit up to talk to him. 

Worry is etched across his face. That's pretty surprising considering he's a puppet. "so.. what's [the profit for today] wrong?" "[scratch that] i heard what that [goof] said. Just thiNk of it tHis waY ! !" Oh god, his voice is faltering. "IF YOUR'E AN [npc] THEN I AM TOO! !" I smile a little at Spamton's words.

He clears his throat. "i'm [profusely apologizing] sorry. what i meant to say was [buy this car on sale!] maybe we're the main characters of our own story. it all depends on the way you [see these low prices!] see things.

"Oh c'mere you kooky little gremlin." I grab Spamton, engulfing him in a hug. He gladly hugs me back. "WHAT IS [this creature] YOU [titled] ME AS? !" He yells into my shirt. Well, I guess he's back to normal.

I chuckle a bit. I swear, I owe this tiny trash man my life. Separating from the hug, I sit Spamton down on my lap facing the door right in front of us. God, my arm really hurts. 'They can't handle healing from a lightner' What does that mean? Damn. I'll probably never know the full answer.

"Go check on y/n, will you?" Ralsei urges one of the people in the room with him. Susie slams open the door with her foot. "C'mon loser, we gotta go." She snarls.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Hey readers, I'm so sorry for taking forever to update this book, I just haven't been doing too well lately (that's probably why there's so much angst in this chapter lmao) but it's a bit longer than the last one. I hope you have been enjoying this book so far. make sure to have a good day/night, don't forget to drink some water!