Safety Net

Olivia stared at Spencer in shock as he stood in front of a black SUV parked on the street. "What are you doing here?"

He looked up at her building and then turned back to her and said with a sigh, "Can we talk?"

Olivia hesitated. Spencer noticed.

"It's important. There's something I want to tell you about." She knew he was serious but couldn't read much from his face beyond that. After another moment, she nodded once and said, "sure," and immediately turned and strode towards her building door.

As she neared the front desk, she waved to the concierge, a black man in his 60s who reminded her a lot of GW. They had become fast friends since he started working at the desk earlier in the year. "Hey, Eddie."

He smiled, "Looking sharp tonight, Miss Olivia. You been at those fashion shows?" She had tried repeatedly to get him to just call her Olivia but he'd only compromise with 'Miss Olivia' instead of 'Miss Baker.' When she had told him that she was going to call him 'Mr. Eddie' in return, he'd given her a disapproving look over his glasses that reminded her so much of GW that she had just dropped it and let him win.

"Thank you. And I was, actually. For you, got your favorite," Olivia said with a smile as she dropped the pizza box on the desk.

"Thank you, Miss Olivia," he grinned and waved at them. "Alright now, have a good night."

Olivia watched the numbers above the elevator doors climb and avoided looking at Spencer. His eyes burned into her from where he leaned against the right corner of the elevator as she stood rigidly on the left. Olivia was out of the doors the moment she could fit through and strode towards her apartment door.

As she sat on her couch to remove her heels, she glanced at him for the first time since they were standing outside.

She saw him look around her apartment and took the opportunity to look him over. He had on a white vintage UCLA sweatshirt with the hood hanging from half of his head and a denim jacket over it, along with jeans and white air forces. She smirked at him and couldn't help but tease, "cold, West Coaster? It's above 50 degrees out."

"Don't start," he shook his head and smiled, sliding his hood off.

She huffed out a laugh as her smirk widened. She watched him look her over as she finished pulling off one heel. "You adjusted to the cold, though," he said lowly as his eyes trailed her bare arms and legs.

She exhaled and looked back down at her shoes before she spoke.

"How long were you outside?"

He didn't respond, waiting for her to look up, but her eyes stayed firmly down.

"Since I first called you an hour ago," he finally conceded.

Damn.

Olivia finally looked at him nervously.  "What was so important, then?"

He crossed his arms over his chest and looked around before looking back at her. "I need to ask you something."

"Okay," Olivia sighed.

"Why did you run away in Vegas?"

"I didn't run exactly..."

"Olivia."

She sighed again and said nothing. He shook his head.

"I haven't been subtle, Liv. And you're one of the smartest people I know. So did you run because you don't feel the same anymore? Or—"

"I didn't wanna get my hopes up, Spencer." She finally actually looked at him. "I don't want to talk about what ifs that aren't real right now, okay? We both know that you can't control where you go. And maybe I can find something new in Arizona but who knows how long that will take."