Barry's Choice

Deputy Thomas rolled up on the accident scene. A large truck trailer was still smoldering thirty yards or so from the side of the highway. Fire and hazmat trucks lined the side of the road. One truck was pouring water on a pile of gas cylinders bunched together. A state trooper directed Rufus to pull in behind a couple of ambulances. Getting out of his car, Rufus noticed two vehicles on the other side of the road, parked on the shoulder. One was a late model minivan, the other an Arizona Highway Patrol cruiser. The trunk on the cruiser was open. Both vehicles were badly charred but otherwise intact.

"Deputy, I'm glad you're here," said a voice behind the deputy. Rufus wheeled around. "We could use some help with traffic control. Can you drive down the road just past mile marker 6? We need to keep people away from this area. A truck was carrying flammable gas cylinders. One of those puppies could come shooting out or blow up at any moment," the highway patrolman said. "What the hell happened here?" Rufus asked. "Not sure how it happened, but we got one of our own in the back of that ambulance over there," the trooper said. "Is he going to be, ok?" Rufus asked. "I don't know. They're working on him. He's hurt bad, from what I hear. Burns and such, you know."

Rufus looked back at the police cruiser with the trunk popped open, then back at the trooper. "It looks like he was trying to help whoever was in that minivan," the deputy said. "Yeah, probably," the trooper replied. "But one thing for sure, he saved a woman's life when that trailer exploded. He threw her to the ground and shielded her with his body from the explosion. At least, that's what a witness told me. Now, if you don't mind, we could use you down the road, deputy." "Sure, I'll get right over there," Rufus said. "Hey, who was the trooper who got hurt?" Rufus asked. "Fernandez. Damian Fernandez," the trooper replied. The name rang a bell with the deputy. Rufus remembered Damian was the guy that interviewed him at the Jankins crash. His intuition told him he should let his boss know right away. As he drove down the road, he pulled out his cell phone and called Sheriff Koontz.

"Hey Sheriff, it's Rufus." "Yeah, Rufus. What's up?" "You know that 909 in Quartzsite?" Rufus asked. "Yeah, what about it?" Koontz replied. "It's a pretty bad scene here. But what I wanted to tell you is one of the people injured, is that state trooper who was asking all the questions at the wreck. You know, the one that happened when we were chasing Barry Jankins." "Oh yeah. What's his name?" Koontz asked. "Fernandez. Damian Fernandez," the deputy replied. "They're trying to stabilize him now. They're transporting him to La Paz Memorial, Sheriff." "Ok. Thanks, Rufus. I'll have to stop by and check on him later." "Ok, Sheriff. I gotta go!"

Barry was wrapped in suffocating darkness. But instead of crippling fear, which has gripped Barry since the fiasco on the highway some days ago - he's noticed a fire boiling inside of him that felt like anger. Yes, anger... definitely, anger. That ugly ghost, or whatever the hell it was - it was pissed too. Really pissed! Barry started hearing strange noises and saw flashing orange lights coming closer. An orange glow shined all around, and Barry saw the ghost rushing toward him. Its blackish-grey jagged smoke-like body fluttered with fiery rays coming out of the various joints in its body when it walked. The beast was talking to itself. When it occasionally spoke out loud, a bright fireball would pour from its mouth.

Barry thought about the incident in the gas truck. The man fighting for control of the steering wheel. The fucking ghost trying to do the same thing he had done to the schoolteacher. Except, this time, Barry wasn't having any of it. He had lunged at the ghost, pushing him away from the man and out the window. It worked! Barry and the spirit had cascaded out of the truck and onto the concrete pavement. The truck driver had been able to gain control of the wheel. Barry cracked a smile as he remembered this. Just then, the ghost got inches from his face. Barry could smell its breath. Like dead rotting flesh and sewer gas all mixed into one. "You think you pretty cute, huh, Barry boy!" the specter bellowed. "I know what you thinking - but think again, man! I be ready for you next time."

Barry suddenly felt like he was totally on fire, both outside from within. There were banging and screaming noises so loud that he thought if he still had eardrums, they would have exploded. The screaming was the worst part, all kinds of voices. Men's voices, women's voices, kids, animals, all crying out in excruciating pain. "Dis is what you have to look forward to, Barry boy, and don't you fuckin forget it," the evil spirit bellowed. "I own you forever!!" Barry's momentary feeling of relief turned back to dread as he thought, 'Oh yeah. 'There's going to be a next time, and there's not a friggin thing I can do about it.'

Then his thoughts turned back to the encounter with his daughter that night on the highway. He knew Lizzy had special powers. He hoped that somehow, she could help rescue him from an eternity of fire and gnashing of teeth. Choose Wisely. The words he's seen several times since his untimely death. What was that? Was it a message from Lizzy, or was it a message from a supernatural spirit? Then it hit him, for as bad as he thought he had lived his life - looking out mostly for himself. Despite all the regrets, about things he could have done better. Perhaps he was being offered a second chance in the afterlife. He knew what was behind Door #1 now. That was certainly not what he wanted, but what was behind Door #2?