The Noose Tightens on Fred

Fred made himself comfortable as he popped the cap on a cold Budweiser. He searched through the stack of flyers, leaflets, and letters he had just retrieved out of his mailbox - most of it junk mail. Then he noticed a letter from the La Paz County Board of Supervisors. He opened the letter.

To: Sheriff Fredrick J Koontz

Sheriff, La Paz County Arizona

From: Mark S. Bottoms

Chairman, La Paz County Board of Supervisors

Sheriff Koontz,

The La Paz County Board of Supervisors would like to thank you for your many years of dedicated service to the citizens of La Paz County, Arizona. Your tireless efforts have made La Paz County a safe place to live.

Notwithstanding, we must inform you that the County has been served with a lawsuit from the families of victims killed in the vehicle accident on Interstate 10 near Quartzsite during your pursuit of Mr. Barry Jankins on August 12, 2012. The lawsuit alleges gross negligence on the part of the Sheriff's Department and of you specifically.

Additionally, the Board of Supervisors received a letter from the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Yuma Office, informing the County that a request for a formal administrative review with the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board has been initiated to determine if your Peace Officer Certification should be revoked, based on your actions in and around the event previously mentioned in this letter.

The County Board of Supervisors believes it is in the best interest of all parties, as well as the citizens of La Paz County, to place you on administrative leave, pending a formal review.

My office will reach out to you to discuss the transition of your duties to an acting sheriff that will carry on all official police business in your absence.

Sincerely,

Mark S. Bottoms

Chairman, Board of Supervisors

La Paz County, Arizona

Rage exploded inside Fred as he fired his half-empty Budweiser bottle across the kitchen. It splintered in dozens of foamy shards as it smashed into the refrigerator. He tried to collect himself. 'Ok. I can handle this,' he thought. The lawsuit didn't concern him. The County, and his department, have been served before. But this one was different, and the bit about the Arizona Department of Public Safety trying to get him 'defrocked' really set him off.

In his mind, he put one-and-one together and determined it was the 'punk-ass' trooper who was behind the decertification effort. He decided to call the Commander in the Yuma office to voice his displeasure.

"Frank Wilson, please," Fred barked as the operator answered the call. "May I ask who's calling, sir?" the operator said. "Yeah, it's Sheriff Fred Koontz with the La Paz County Sheriff's Department!" "One moment, please." Fred took several deep breaths as he tried to center his thoughts.

"Sheriff Koontz. What can I do for you?" "How about you show me some fucking professional courtesy, Frank!" Fred erupted. "Sheriff, you know I can't discuss...," Fred cut him off. "I don't know what that green-behind-the-ears trooper has told you, but it's all a bunch of shit." Fred waited for a reply, but none came. "Hey, are you still there, Wilson?" The call was disconnected.

"That mother-fucker! He hung up on me!" Fred bellowed. Just as he went to set the phone down, it rang. He thought, 'Ok, Fred... calm down. Apologize to him and see what you can get from this guy. Maybe somehow, you can unwind yourself from this mess.' He looked down at the receiver and was surprised. It wasn't Frank Wilson who was calling him back.