Dream Warrior

The darkness was thick and stifling in the narrow passageway. Danny felt like he was having trouble breathing - like something massive was sitting on his chest. With each step he took, he heard a crunching noise under his feet. It sounded like seashells cracking, but not small ones... ′no big ones,′ Danny thought. He tried to look down, but it was so dark he couldn't see past his knees. That was probably ok with him right now. He wasn't sure he wanted to see what he was stepping on. He just knew he needed to keep moving forward. In front, he could see faint slivers of light flashing on and off. They were coming through crevasses in the ceiling of a cave... ′yes, that's where he was.′ He was in a cave. He was sure now because he started to smell that musty dirt smell.

As he walked toward the lights ahead, his eyes began to adjust. The passageway widened ahead. It was indeed a massive cavern. He saw a large opening in the ground at the other end of this underground environment. The crunching sound got louder, and when he passed through one of the shafts of light beaming down, he looked down at the ground to get a glimpse of where he had been walking. What he saw terrified him so much it sent a jolt of nerves that shot up his legs, through his crotch, and settled in his belly. It was human skulls he had been walking on! He was crushing the decaying bones with every step he took. Danny ran like hell to a patch of dirt just in front of the open pit. There was a slight orange glow coming from the hole.

He looked back behind him at the passageway, and he saw the human skulls he had been walking over. Except now, they were now all intact and staring at him. He turned back to look at the pit when he felt something gently brush his shoulder. Startled, Danny froze! Scared out of his wits, Danny reluctantly turned around to see what it was. "Hello, my young dream warrior," his Nani said. Danny felt an enormous sense of relief. He was dreaming! "Nani, I'm so happy to see you." "I am happy you have come to see me," she replied. "Nani, we need your help. We're fighting an evil spirit. A great shaman is helping us. He told me to ask for your help. That you could help me marshal the good spirits from the Great Beyond."

"That is why you are here in this place, as you slumber this night," Nani said. "I don't understand, Nani," Danny said. "Danny, you have come to this place for two reasons. First, we can show you the exact place you will meet the evil one tomorrow with your friends. But the most important reason is to show you that you are not alone... You are never alone. If your mind is clear and your heart is pure, the great spirits will always be with you. Ready to help you in the battle against the forces of evil in the world."

As she spoke, Nani lifted her head and surveyed the walls of the great cavern. Danny followed her eyes - what he saw amazed him. Glowing in soft blue light were spirits adorning the wall. Dozens and dozens of them! As Danny scanned the room, he noticed two of the spirits were more brilliant than the others. He strained to make out the faces. Then... It was his parents! "Momma!" "Dad!" he shouted. Their faces smiled back at him but did not speak. "They cannot speak with you right now, Danny, but maybe one day they will," Nani said. Danny looked back at the passageway. He noticed the skulls remained on the ground, but now their faces were turned in the opposite direction. Danny was getting ready to ask Nani what the skulls meant, but he realized he already knew the answer. They were the work of the evil spirit. It hoped Danny would turn back in fear and separate him from his Nani and the strength of the good spirits.

"You and your friend Lizzy are destined for great things, my young dream warrior. You will help many people before your time together ends. Tomorrow will be the first step. Your victory will signal to the spirit world there is new hope for good. You and Lizzy will have many battles with evil spirits." "I'm scared, Nani," Danny said. "I hope I'm up for this!" "You are my sweet grandson. You have been chosen for this work, as has your friend Lizzy," Nani said. "Go tomorrow with power and strength. The shaman knows what he must do. When the time comes, follow his lead, and everything will work out." "Danny... Danny... Danny, are you there?" It was Lizzy's voice coming from the dark passageway. "You must go now, my young dream warrior. Your friend calls," Nani said. "Bye Nani, thank you. I love you!" Danny said.

Danny opened his eyes just as Lizzy bent down to kiss him. "I love you, Lizzy." Realizing this was the first time she's heard Danny say those words sent a burst of delight through Lizzy. She climbed under the covers. The predawn light was starting to peek through the bedroom window, and it would be at least an hour before they would need to leave. "Did you see your Nani?" Lizzy asked. "Yes! And I saw the place where we will meet the evil spirit...and your dad, I guess." Danny replied. "Lizzy, it was awesome. I saw all these great spirits inside a big cave. Oh! I saw my mom and dad too...." "That's awesome, Danny. What did she tell you?" "We are going to do great things, Lizzy. Today is just the beginning. Nani told me that as long as our minds are clear and our hearts pure, the great spirits will always be there to help us."

For several minutes, Lizzy and Danny lay there, very still, staring at the ceiling. They thought about the current task at hand, how to save Lizzy's father, and what was in store for them after hearing Nani's prediction about their future. Then, Lizzy rolled on top of Danny and began gently kissing his neck. She whispered, "We have some time before everyone wakes up. Let's make good use of it, shall we?"