(Thorin x Reader) I Should Have Your Head

Your one moment of escape rested by nightfall as you finally escaped the worried conversations of Dwarves that were the result of Thorin's rage: the rage of the one you had grown so close to.

You didn't like to admit it though. You had lived a long life so far without the need to fall for someone, and you certainly hadn't expected, that when the time came, it would be with the Dwarf King, especially as you were a Ranger yourself.

But now he wasn't the Thorin you had tried to resist becoming smitten for. He was consumed by a greater force.

"Are you okay, lass?" A soft voice snapped you from your thoughts as you gazed out at the distant movement of torches and figures moving around in the darkness of Dale. You turned to see Fili, standing in the dim light of the moon.

"Yes," you smiled, "I'm just taking a moment of peace, while I can...before all of this begins." You looked down, still not fully escaping from your thoughts.

"Listen, (y/n), I find myself feeling ashamed to ask something of you." He said, your eyes darted up to him and you nodded lightly to urge him to continue. "Well," he said, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck, "I-and the other dwarves, that is, wondered if maybe your words could sway my uncle. Most of us were against it at first because we don't want you to be in any danger around him but I know you, (y/n) and I had the strange feeling that you may have been planning to confront him soon, anyway."

You couldn't help but give a vividly sad smile at his words. "At least I've made an impact on one of you." You smirked. Fili let out a soft laugh. "I'm going to speak with him this evening, don't worry. That's why I wanted a moment to myself before, but it was time to leave anyway and stop brushing off the inevitable." You walked towards Fili, placing a hand on his shoulder, "Thank you for your honesty, Fili." He smiled back at you but you could see the worry in his eyes. However, you walked on, towards the throne room.

Dwalin and Bofur stood by the doors as you walked up.

"You sure you're ready lass?" Dwalin said.

"Of course." You replied. "No better time than now. And seeing as now seems to be a couple of hours before war breaks out, I couldn't think of a better moment." You sighed.

The two dwarves nodded to you and opened the doors. On the throne sat Thorin. He looked like Thorin, you guessed. But something seemed to linger to his being, seemed to swarm him and layer his body. You could almost see the haze that the gold sickness created and it make your stomach ache a little. Regardless, you stepped forward. You were only ever confrontational if you needed to be, otherwise, you stepped back from the usual fight of a ranger and chose firm diplomacy instead.

"Thorin." You said, head held high but a sadness evident in your gaze.

"(Y/n), why are you not out looking for my treasure?" He asked in a gruff voice, raising a brow.

"Thorin. You do know you can't keep doing this, pushing your friends, your people, to step straight into a war you are creating."

"You have no authority over me and my decisions, Ranger. No doubt you only joined us to learn our secrets and take them as your own. I should have your head." His gaze did not leave yours but you powered back with your own, even more steady and reluctant to move.

"But you won't." You breathed. "Your greed is risking lives, Thorin."

The Dwarven King rose from his seat and walked down to you, a harshness in his step. "You continue to oppose me."

He came close. Too close. His breath swept across your steady face. "If it is what I have to do." You breathed.

A contortion hit his features and his body tensed. "I will not have such treason in my Kingdom!" He raged. "Not by the likes of you! An outcast to your own kind and now here you are, trying to break away the bonds of another!"

Your rage hit you then. You knew he would never normally say such things to you. Normally he would comfort you in your doubts or raise you up when you were low. Now he tried to belittle you, and it made your stomach twist.

"Watch your tongue, Thorin." You said, stepping ever so closer. "You may be shrouded by a sickness we know little of but I will remind you to find your decency. Go wage war if you wish! But I will not stand by you as you leave your kin and others to be slaughtered." You turned sharply, anger reaching you. Then a hand grabbed you back, twisting you around.

"How dare you!" He raged, his grip over his sword tightening. "You have no right, wretch, no right!" Your heart raced now. How far gone was he?

"Thorin please, I know you are there just, just come back." You didn't realise your emotions had snapped, but they had. You internally punished yourself, sighing at your release of power.

He growled at you, his sword swinging from his side to point at your throat. You felt the cold, sickly kiss of metal as it lightly touched your skin. "Whatever emotions you think I have towards you, they are false. You will not try an poison my mind!" His sword pushed tighter and for some reason, you wouldn't move. You were too determined, refusing to give in.

Then as you felt doubt creep in again, his features softened. "(Y/n)" he breathed, "You need to go. Please. Go!" He shouted and then crumpled back down, his body slumping against the bottom step as he tried to resist.

"Thorin! Thorin, you are okay. You are still here, I am still here." You pleaded, rushing to kneel beside him. His features were contested in pain as he tried to fight it and his sad gaze reached yours.

"(Y/n)." he breathed.

"Yes, Thorin. I am here." You said, a hand placing on his cheek. You let the brightness of the moment engulf you and you were shocked when a pain clenched your arm as Thorin ripped it away. "Tho-" You had no chance to finish before he jolted and a smooth steel entered your stomach, pushing you backwards against the walkway. Your eyes shot down and your breathing became heavy at the sight of your wound. You looked up at him as you lost control of your muscles and your body slumped.

"Thorin." You breathed, but your body couldn't hold you up and your back fell against the cold marble.

You heard the door swing open. The questioning and chaos of Dwarven voices startled by the shouting. Then the small patters of heavy feet that came to run beside you. But your vision was blurry and you felt like you could do with some rest. It had been a long journey, after all.