(Bard x Reader) Dragon Thief

DwarfMaiden picked Bard for me but I had an idea to merge some character stories together for the fun so here we are! Thank u!
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•
(Imagine you and Bard begin to fear the return of your old companion, Smaug, not knowing what may come from the mountain beyond)
~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~

The night air had begun to settle around the lake. You found your self carefully tracing the line where the far off ruins met the water.

You had not heard anything for some time now, not since you sensed a disturbance in the atmosphere a few moments ago.

You allowed your eyes to close.

"What do you sense?" A soft voice spoke behind you.

You remained crouched, one hand placed against the deck so that you could remain close to the earth. You let your eyes open again, but kept their gaze beyond the water. "I think he is awakening." You whispered.

The soft ripple of water continued to brush against the deck and after a moment, you no longer allowed the sound to consume you. Instead, you let it's hold on you scatter and came back to reality.

Turning your head, you saw the tall figure gazing down at you, concern tracing his features.

"Will the dragon really come?" He breathed.

It ached you to think that this could be real. That this danger could soon arrive from behind the shores.

You continued to gaze at him and then stood. "I'm not sure. Not fully." You cast your gaze outward again. "I can't simply see what may come, but something is disturbed. It's almost as if I can feel him breathing and know that soon his rhythm will change." Your eyes met his again. "That soon he will awaken."

"(Y/n), we need to get you safe. Away from here." His eyes searched yours but you didn't let him in. The crease in your brow and worried aura did not help your case.

"No, Bard. I will not leave you, never. If Smaug is truly to return, I will be here to see it through and to see his downfall." You could not hide the shake in your voice. But you were more certain than you ever had been. Bard was all you needed now, Smaug was a history that you would leave behind. It would just feel more final to see his reign finally over.

Bard took a step forward, lifting your chin to meet his eyes. "He has no power over you, (Y/n)."

"I know." You said softly. "I grew only knowing him as good, Bard. When he took the mountain I-I," your voice faltered slightly, "I knew he was gone. I knew I couldn't stay."

And so you hadn't. You had left him to help save the people he had so eagerly destroyed. You had never loved him, not fully any way. There was something there, but his greed overpowered anything that could have grown between you.

That was where you had met Bard. And so, your first taste of happiness had been had.

"He remains in dragon form, I can feel that much. Our specie's bond leaves a kind of vibration that we can feel, understanding what form we chose to take: human or dragon." You sighed, casting your view away. "He's destroyed this town once before, I fear if what is coming to challenge him angers him, he will not hesitate to destroy it again."

Bard looked out to the ruins of Dale, a pain clutching his chest. You saw it, knowing how it hurt him that his ancestor could not save his people. Your hands did not hesitate to hold his arms. "I will stay with you til the very end." You said.

He seemed to analyse your face, taking in every feature as if it was the first time he had seen you. "That is what I fear."

"Then we shall fear it together." You smiled.

His arms embraced you and he held you close. You could hear the soft waves again.

"What will he do when he sees you?" Bard asked, running his hands through your hair.

"I'm more worried about what he will do when he sees you." You said, but your serious tone was laced with a slight amusement. "You are his little dragon thief after all."

"I did not steal you." He chuckled. You felt the vibrations through his chest.

"Yes, I know. But he believes everything is his, even one of his own kind. So I'd be careful, thief." You let the word thief roll off of your tongue with a low growl, mocking him in the process.

He held you back at arms length. "I guess that means we will soon have a dragon to slay." He said, a smile of determination crossing his face.

"I guess it does." You said, but cast your thoughts elsewhere. "But for now, he can stay fast asleep. It gives us more time together. And it gives us more time to enjoy this beautiful night." A strong smile gripped your face and you shot you gaze out to the starry sky. You placed your hand out towards Bard, his brows rising. "Care for a flight?" You said with a mischievous smirk.

His features softened and he glanced up on the sky before smiling. "Of course."

Before he could say anything else, a pair of strong light grey wings flew out from behind you. "Promise I won't drop you." You smirked.

"Guess I will have to trust you then." He chuckled.

"I guess you will."