(Legolas x Reader) - How Dare You!

(Imagine you and Legolas have been in love for many years and now must face the reality of your relationship, once the ring is destroyed)
~~•~~•~•~~•~~•~~•~~•~~~•~•~••~~•~~~•••

"How much longer must it take us to get there?" You heard Gimli's voice wine behind you.

You walked carefully along the rocky terrain, noting that the sun was getting lower and would start to fall soon. Gimli was right though, it seemed to be taking much longer to reach the next village than expected. And you all wanted rest.

Soft footsteps approached behind you. Most would not have heard them, and you wouldn't have if your half-Elven blood had not blessed you with the pointy eared ability to sense the smallest of sounds. It helped, with being a Ranger and all. Elves had tried to use your half-Elven blood against you, claiming you unworthy. And so you had left Rivendell, to prove them wrong.

"The dwarf irritates me." A silky voice said, and you smirked at his irritated tone.

"I'm becoming quite fond of him myself." You smirked again when Legolas' face shot your way, surprised.

"If I didn't know you any better I'd say your going to run off with him and leave me behind." He mused.

"Oh don't tempt me." You winked back. He rolled his eyes, chuckling.

You both began walking towards the front of your small Fellowship, allowing the others to trail behind while Aragon walked ahead of you all.

"Legolas," you said, making him turn to look at you, "have you thought about what we will do when our journey here ends? I am a Ranger after all, and you, a Prince, with a kingdom of your own one day." A sadness stung your eyes. "I know we hope to marry but you know I am not suited to be a queen and I don't know if I'll ever really want it."

You and Legolas had known each other since  just before the battle at Erebor. You had travelled with the Company and had ended up in his Father's cells as well as later on the battlefield. Ever since then you had been together.

Something drew you to one another. You were brash and blunt at times when you were angry, sometimes enjoying the challenge, but when it came to the people you cared for, you were so unbelievably soft you often had to remind yourself it was still you in there. Legolas' calm, calculating nature connected perfectly with yours. He would plan, you would act. He was in awe of your ability to fight when others would try and drag you down because they didn't like your heritage.

And you both never felt like you belonged, together, you did.

But you had different lives.

Legolas took in a steady breath. "We've been able to ignore all of this since we met. We've had quests and missions to accomplish together, leaving room for no discussion. And I guess I had just let the thoughts slip away." He sighed.

"I know." You smiled sadly. "So had I."

"But, (y/n), we have so much life ahead of us." His turned grasping your hand in his. "For now we can just be happy where we are, our futures may change and with such fear created by the ring, I am reminded that nothing is certain. We don't need to worry about our future, just for now."

You couldn't help but let your heart warm. "You know I agree. But every now and then I feel it doesn't hurt to at least prepare ourselves for some...challenges."

He squeezed your hand. "I know." He said softly.

"And if we do decide to continue any of this I will not pretend to be happy about the whole "courting" thing. Even towards Thranduil. I don't care much for useless tradition only used to keep a couple in their place." You shook your head.