IT WAS EARLY June, and I had big plans for the weekend. I was going hiking over a new trail with Brandon, my best friend. We'd been friends since kindergarten and I thought of him almost like one of my brothers, only he didn't torment me like they do.

It was Friday, and the day had dawned beautiful and clear. It was going to be a full day trip, and we had already let our families know where we were going. I even packed my lunch the night before so I had one less thing to do before we could leave that morning.

At just after six, the sun and I had both been up for almost an hour, and I was nearly ready. I ran the brush through my hair, smoothing it into the ponytail I was forming on the back of my head. Winding an elastic around the tail, I glanced out the window and saw a familiar car pull into a parking space in the lot below. Picking up the brush again, I finished brushing out my hair as I watched a tall athletic man climb out of the car and head around the end of the building. I was adding the last of my things to my backpack when a knock sounded on my front door.

"It's open!" I continued packing.

"You always just holler at anyone who knocks on your door at six in the morning that the door's open? And why exactly is the door open while we're at it?" Brandon demanded as he walked in.

"Just the ones I'm expecting," I said, zipping my bag before looking up.

"You were expecting me, so what? It still could have been anyone at the door," he was still intent on his point.

"Could have, except that I saw you pull in as I finished my hair. I unlocked the door a couple of minutes ago, just before grabbing my lunch. I knew it was you, Brand."

"Ok, fair enough. I'm just looking out for you, Chica," his tone much calmer now, his hands up in front of himself as if in surrender.

"I know," I said, "and I know you only push the issue because you care. Otherwise you'd be choking on your balls right now."

"Jeez, Nickie, don't bottle up your emotions like that, you'll get hurt. You need to learn to express yourself or someday it'll all come exploding out. Then where will you be?" he looked at me, totally deadpan.

I didn't bother responding other than to flip him off as I turned to go use the restroom one more time before we headed out. When I returned I asked him, "You got everything you need?"

"Everything but you and your pack."

"Then let's get a move on, we're burnin' daylight," I said flippantly as I picked up my bag and slung it over one shoulder. I led the way out and turned to wait for him to exit the apartment before activating the lock. Brandon looked confused, as if he didn't quite understand, but I didn't explain the film reference and let it drop.

The drive out to the parking area where we planned to start our hike took us about forty-five minutes, by then it was almost seven and the day was starting to warm up. It was still relatively cool but it was already hinting at the heat that the sunshine and desert floor would bring. We strapped our backpacks on and I tucked my Personal Communication Device, more commonly known as a PCD, into the pocket of my jeans where I could easily reach it, and we took off.

We started out heading west, away from the cars, the ground was rough and uneven but I was used to it and I moved over the loose rubble and small rocks with ease. We followed what appeared to be a wildlife trail. A path made by frequent passage of animals, like deer and javelina, it was narrow and winding but had very little overhanging brush so it was an easy walk. As we walked over the still flat ground, I called out to Brandon.

"What have you been up to lately?"

"Not much; work, sleep, eat. You?"

"About the same, throw in spending time with the family and you have my life."